New sharktooth grills !

-
Only two references to the co,:angry7:

I did not know it took $750.00 to get one a sharktooth grill.

man I wish I new that 10 year's ago.8)

From the side:
"Mopar Grille Reproductions at prices you can afford!"

Well, I can't afford that. I don't know anyone who can spend that much on a grill.

When I see nice originals/restored selling for 1300+, $750 isn't so bad...

i'd like to know how much of that is profit. ;-) i can understand the price though. tooling, recouping expenses of manufacture all around...

but hey... good for people that got that year car, one more option to have. a part liek that could be saved for if it was worth it and you needed one.

I nver thought the shark tooth was any cooler than the generic one. dont they all look the same from the drivers seat??
I have sen nice ones on egouge up to 1500 so the repops are just over half..shuld bring the price of an origional into reality tho

I nver thought the shark tooth was any cooler than the generic one. dont they all look the same from the drivers seat??
I have sen nice ones on egouge up to 1500 so the repops are just over half..shuld bring the price of an origional into reality tho

Difference is...nice ones on eBay have been refinished and look good...this re-pop is going to need tweaking, prepping, painting, etc. Next, find a nice set of upper and lower trim for it. Then...find a nice set of lenses. Figure all that into the cost of it and you still spend BIG money on it!! Crazy...I wish I had mine back.

DSCF0304.jpg

DSCF0304.jpg

DSCF0304.jpg

$750 is TOO MUCH money?!?!?

I'm at the point where I'm just numb to prices. Especially after paying $35 for a pair of VIN rivets.... :angry7:

$750 is TOO MUCH money?!?!?

I'm at the point where I'm just numb to prices. Especially after paying $35 for a pair of VIN rivets.... :angry7:

True dat...I can't believe someone wants to charge like $150 for nuts and bolts for my '73 RR that I can probably run to Home Depot and buy for less than $50!! Prices have definitely made it much harder to survive in this hobby. That grille I pictured above...I paid $250 for just the lenses. When I bought the car, both lenses were missing.:banghead:

I LOVE my duster but I have always hated that stupid little-old-lady-grocery-getter grille. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY Ren!

As for the price, it is a lot of $ but I saw an 'original' one in 'good' condition for $500 and it would have needed some work. For a newly tooled item I thik it is steep but reasonable.

The great thing about being single is you can afford this crap. Whooo-hoooo! I say again: WHOOO-HOOOO!

-LY

The great thing about being single is you can afford this crap. Whooo-hoooo! I say again: WHOOO-HOOOO!

-LY

Maybe you can but hell I'm trying to come up with $200 for the 12 pt. roll cage for the Demon. It seems like everytime I start to get ahead something bigger than what I have saved happens and that and the next two pay checks go bye-bye.

Maybe you can but hell I'm trying to come up with $200 for the 12 pt. roll cage for the Demon. It seems like everytime I start to get ahead something bigger than what I have saved happens and that and the next two pay checks go bye-bye.

that is why its a hobby and not a weekend project ;-)

they can only charge what the market will bear though, so if not many people buy for the price, price *should* drop

Expensive? Yes. But last week there was a NOS one on Columbus Craig for $3000 firm. I checked today and it has been removed by author.

The cost to retool for a complex piece such as this would be expensive, so I think a number would have to be sold to recoup the costs, maybe cost will drop once "profit" is actually made.

As far as prices on all these silly little parts go, well, it seems that the A-bodies are definitely in more demand than when I started collecting parts. Back in the mid-80s early 90s, people laughed at me for even owning these cars. The days of stripping down a car for $50 is long gone. But then again, I never would have believed I would see someone "asking" $28,000 for a factory 340 car.

I towed home a Curious Yellow 71 340 Duster shell a couple of years ago for $500. I casually asked the kid if he had any extra parts for it and he said he might have the grille at home. Yep, a sharktooth. Guess my car is "FREE" now lol.

I just so happen to have a spare one (original to the car), as I purchased an NOS one a dozen or so years ago, paid $120. for it then and I thought that was expensive.
My original is in very good condition, small chips, no cracks, in better condition than most of the ones I've seen on ebay.
I'm still debating on maybe selling it, but I definately would not sell it at these inflated prices.
I'm not in this hobby (AKA: Infatuation, addiction...) for the $$$, I'm in this for the pleasure of driving my toy and helping someone drive there's.

All I have to do now is find a way to make it fit my '73. I've found that with the right hammer, a running start and my Ohio blue-tip wrench I can make anything fit.

-LY

(I'm not 100% on this but I think the turn lights mount behind the grille.)

I just so happen to have a spare one (original to the car), as I purchased an NOS one a dozen or so years ago, paid $120. for it then and I thought that was expensive.
My original is in very good condition, small chips, no cracks, in better condition than most of the ones I've seen on ebay.
I'm still debating on maybe selling it, but I definately would not sell it at these inflated prices.
I'm not in this hobby (AKA: Infatuation, addiction...) for the $$$, I'm in this for the pleasure of driving my toy and helping someone drive there's.

That's the way I try to be. I'm also not in the hobby of "trying" to make a living on selling any extra parts I may have. I will sell to get my money back if anything or even be at a loss to help someone out. (I think that's the way it should be) with our breed. What come's around, go's around I guess. :munky2:

I remember just a couple of years ago a sharktooth grill was going for $350-$400. Now a decent one is in the $1,200 range. These new ones at $750 are quite a bit more $ then I expected them to be, I figured in the $300-$500 range. This hobby is starting to feel like everyone is trying to THEIR hands in YOUR pockets. Making it hard to enjoy and I haven't even been in it long lol. I blame shows like Barret Jackson. People with TOO MUCH bloody money who don't care how much they pay for a car, in turn raising prices everywhere else cause other people all of a sudden think after watching that show that their 1970 rotted 6 banger car in thier garage is worth as much as the "rare" version they saw on that damn show. It's a shame....

well thats my rant for the day. lol

In 1982 I was buying '70 Buick GS grilles as fast as I could afford to buy them because I knew they were going to be discontinued anytime and I was paying $200 for then. That was 25 years ago so the $750 seems fairly in line with how much everything else has gone up in price. When the Grand National came out in '84 it was $12,134.00 base price. Try to by one of the base model performance cars today anywhere near that, not gonna happen. It is about three times as much, about as much as the grille pricing has changed. Let's not even mention how much more fuel has gone up since then.

Chuck

I agree that $750 is a lot of money! And as stated above, it is not a complete grill and by the time you find good quality trim piece for it you will have well over $1000 in just the grill. That might be fine for the E-body Hemi clone car crowd. But I think most people that have A-bodies are the budget mined Mopar crowd. I also realize that these companies need to make their investment money back and turn a profit as quick as possible. Here is my take on the next few years..........

Economy is not getting any better for most......
Quality parts are getting less affordable.......
Gas prices well that goes without saying.....

So with these cars being "hobbies" the crowd MIGHT shrink a bit. If that happens, prices could level off a bit. I wish someone had a "chart" so to speak on what these cars have done over the past 20 years.

That's a good rant, and well taken......... I'm pondering a front end conversion on a Cuda right now, changing the grille and lights over to the '71 duals and mean grille assembly..........

The Duster grille leaves me blank, as I'm aware of tooling for plastic parts........just as an example, the new repop '71 Cuda grilles are selling for under 500 clams, and they are running constant specials and even calling prospective customers with offers of discounts. At that price, they still make a very nice profit........750 for the Duster grille is just plain too much for what it is............

BUT, as it goes, if you gotta have it, they got ya'. They know full well that as the market continues to be driven by the aforementioned millionaires of the car collecting hobby, their grilles will no doubt become popular, and eventually, "seem" affordable.

It won't be long now guys, that is IF our economy and gas supplies hold out, that our A-Bodies will be climbing as high as the B's and E's are at this point. If the U.S. is spared any serious disasters that have a gross adverse effect on normal trade, that day will come......and sooner than you think. .....and these new parts vendors and manufacturers are wanting a slice of the pie............problem is that it's OUR pie they pilfer.......welcome to the club, I guess.

I'm a paint and body man from the 70's, and getting a bit tired in the joints, I asked a local shop for an estimate on finish-blocking and painting my '68 Charger. VERY little blocking to do.....almost all done......relatively simple metallic paint, and the roof needs nothing 'cause I'm putting on white pearl vinyl.............the estimate came in at a "minimum" of $5,000. to START......they could not be held to the amount, even after a close-up inspection of the car. 5 GRAND!!!!!

They wanted a "piece" of my Charger, knowing that thanks to Barrett and the like, the book value was ridiculously high. That's the same problem with our gas prices fluctuating as they do.........SPECULATION........it's all relative and subjective.........it's like a feeding frenzy out there, and we are the mostly willing prey.

Like it or not, here we are. Pandora's box has been opened.................and Craig Jackson ain't gonna give you a dime to help build your dream.

Just my bit of ramblin'.................................(pretty soon the only thing I'll be able to afford to build will BE a Rambler).

:poke:

The way I see it, I have way to much money in the car all ready. Whats another $1000. May as well by one of the $500 repro Rallye dashes too.

Maybe we could get a bunch of us together who were interested in actually purchasing one of these grilles and get some kind of group discount. I will email them, and see what could be done, or if they would even be willing to do something like that.

-
Back