New "shop computer" LOL

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
'T other day I bought this ComCrap "all in one" a computer built into a monitor housing. It has Winhozed 7 but the install was all FU, the recovery partition is long gone, and someone had "Free DOS" and something called "Prism Windows Download Tools" which I have NO idea.

So..............Linux Mint, LOL

http://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-presario-all-in-one-cq1-1225-atom-d525-1-8-ghz-18-5-tft/

Compaq+Presario+CQ1-1225+All-In-One+Desktop+PC.jpg

Got Linux Mint 17 running on several computers at home and in the garage.

Mint is all I run unless I'm forced "not to." I use Winhozed for the Holley Commander and HP EFI stuff

I used to be happy with Ubuntu, before they forced that stupid "Unity" desktop on us, and I guess you can get away from that now.

Years ago I ran SUSE, but I've never been able to "warm up to" it very well

I do have the means to re-install WhineHoard7 on this thing, (it's got a sticker on the back) and then I thought "why?"

I am running Winbitch 8 and they want me to upgrade to Winesomemore 8.1.....

ya know what I say? YA REALLY want to KNOW what I say?

....TO HELL WITH BILL GATES TOO!

I have never done anything with Ubunto or Linux, but I'm thinking about giving it a try. Our son got a Raspberry PI for his birthday a couple of weeks ago, and it came preloaded with a version of Linux called Raspbian. I haven't really played around with it too much, but I'm getting ready to dive into it. Is there anything I should know beforehand, or just happy exploring? Thanks.

PS: I read that SmallFlaccid (Microsoft, get it?) is looking to integrate Windows into car onboard computers in the near future. My only question about that is this: Will it cause these cars to crash for no apparent reason?

I started with Ubuntu 8...and like you say....once Unity hit...I hit the road...and found Mint......pretty simple...and it is FREE

Have one computer that is a dual boot with Windoze 7 on it...I started it last night...and waited about 15 minutes while is started and restarted as numerous updates and security patches had to be installed...

I have never done anything with Ubunto or Linux, but I'm thinking about giving it a try. Our son got a Raspberry PI for his birthday a couple of weeks ago, and it came preloaded with a version of Linux called Raspbian. I haven't really played around with it too much, but I'm getting ready to dive into it. Is there anything I should know beforehand, or just happy exploring? Thanks.

PS: I read that SmallFlaccid (Microsoft, get it?) is looking to integrate Windows into car onboard computers in the near future. My only question about that is this: Will it cause these cars to crash for no apparent reason?

Probably won't actually crash, just lock up so nothing works till you shut it off and disconnect the power from the computer. :D

-
Back