New Small Block Stroker Engine Noise

-
The top gasket is the FelPro 1413 which is recommended by Edelbrock. The heads are port matched to this gasket. The bottom gasket is what is supplied by TTI. The headers match the TTI gasket. You can see the headers won't seal on the outside ports. This is like running 340 manifold on magnum heads, they just won't seal. This could very well be what is making all the noise. Now how do I resolve the issue??

Here is something in a little bit of a different direction. The last time I heard an engine making that sound, it was actually the connecting rods "connecting" with the windage tray. It didn't leave any metal in the oil or the filter just left interesting grooves in the windage tray. Not sure if you have one installed or not, you could use a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the side of your pan near the bottom of the block and the again on the bottom side of the pan if you do.

i have noticed the same thing with my tti headers kinda wonder if they were matched to 2 barrel ports hmmm.

i was reading this thread earlier and went out to the garage and was fitting my comp solid roller lifters and had to grind the top of the cylinder wall to fit them in the hole well i noticed you said the same thing well if your lifters are anything like mine the top of the lifter bore will have to be ground down to fit the link bar and allow the lifter to actually go all the way down. sum fit and sum have to be ground on, i thought i had fit a pair and started to turn the cam and noticed a roller wasnt making contact until lobe lifted. the back bottom of the link bar where you cant see was making contact.

just thought i should throw that out there.

i have noticed the same thing with my tti headers kinda wonder if they were matched to 2 barrel ports hmmm.

i was reading this thread earlier and went out to the garage and was fitting my comp solid roller lifters and had to grind the top of the cylinder wall to fit them in the hole well i noticed you said the same thing well if your lifters are anything like mine the top of the lifter bore will have to be ground down to fit the link bar and allow the lifter to actually go all the way down. sum fit and sum have to be ground on, i thought i had fit a pair and started to turn the cam and noticed a roller wasnt making contact until lobe lifted. the back bottom of the link bar where you cant see was making contact.

just thought i should throw that out there.

I am pretty sure the link bar was not hitting the top of the lifter bore. Make sure your lifter oil grooves don't get exposed at full lift other wise you will have serious oil pressure issues.

i read that wrong, acually the lifters have no grooves, and i blocked the oil to the lifters

340s the Fel-pro gasket sure is close on the end ports but I don't see any carbon build up from it leaking. Was there any on there? It usually doesn't take any time for burnt gasses to make it's mark. Just by the pic I'd say it was sealing up...for now. But it won't last long with no more gasket than that sealing. Those TTI gaskets may be good but they look just like the style that came with my Hookers and they didn't last long. I put a set of Fel-pro 1413 like yours on it and they are working great. Since they're not matched up well you do need something better. Wish I could recommend something but I don't know of any other good ones. Maybe somebody will chime in on a suggestion.

With the exhaust ports matched to the Fel-Pro gasket in the picture, I fear that the header flanges may need to be welded-up (built out and down) on the end ports a quarter inch or so to put enough surface area on any gasket. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong. My brain has been a little defective lately.

get a set of Cometic header gaskets - they are the same design as the Felpro and will stand up to a lot. I've re-used mine 3 times so far with no leaks of Eddy heads and TTi headers. throw the tti gaskets in the trash can.

The top gasket is the FelPro 1413 which is recommended by Edelbrock. The heads are port matched to this gasket. The bottom gasket is what is supplied by TTI. The headers match the TTI gasket. You can see the headers won't seal on the outside ports. This is like running 340 manifold on magnum heads, they just won't seal. This could very well be what is making all the noise. Now how do I resolve the issue??

Not having ever run a roller I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. But did I read you said you BLOCKED the oil to the lifters, and these are hydraulic roller lifters? They don't need to be fed oil?

Not having ever run a roller I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. But did I read you said you BLOCKED the oil to the lifters, and these are hydraulic roller lifters? They don't need to be fed oil?

I may be wrong but I didn't read anywhere that 340s said he blocked the oil to the lifters. Abodyhotrod said he did but he's running a solid roller.

No oiling mods were made to the block.

It was definitely leaking on the front because I see the carbon on the header where it was coming out. I believe what was happening was it leaked badly when cold and when the header heated and expanded it would hit the gasket enough to seal some what because the car quieted up a lot when hot.

A friend of mine at work used to make custom headers at his previous job. He did nothing but that for 10 years and his work is world class second to none. He is an unbelievable fabricator. I took the gaskets in to show him and he said "you must have had a big leak". Anyway, he has offered to modify the headers to get them to stop leaking but it will mess up the finish in those areas. He needs to see the headers off the car before he figures out what can be done. I'll be taking them off tonight.

Something we always have around when we start an engine or have problems is a stethoscope. They have them at Sears in the tool department. It helped me find the exhuast leak. You hear it but you don't know where it's coming from.

Good Luck

I agree on your diagnosis... they may be sealing partially, but iif you found carbon, they were leaking. I like Mr Gasket Ultra Seal header gaskets. I dont get leaks but I'm careful and know how to flatten the flanges (previous life in custom exhaust...).

340s didn't I read you said they call for .060 preload? If so that would be just slightly less than 1-1/2 turns since one turn = .042". Of course you'll have to keep an eye on the geometry since the rocker arm adjustment affects it too.

The guy at Crane said .060" but he also said 3/4 turn so that does not add up. I am running a half turn now and I believe the loud ticking noise is the exhaust leak. So I am going to get the exhaust leak fixed, try 3/4 turn, and see what happens. I don't mind a little bit of noise but not like what was heard in the video.

You still will have some valvetrain noise because that Hughes cam has quick ramp speeds and the valves will slam shut.
Your still sounds really good even with the exhaust leak.

The guy at Crane said .060" but he also said 3/4 turn so that does not add up. I am running a half turn now and I believe the loud ticking noise is the exhaust leak. So I am going to get the exhaust leak fixed, try 3/4 turn, and see what happens. I don't mind a little bit of noise but not like what was heard in the video.

Better to be a little loose than a little tight....

Took headers off last night and had the header fabricator add a bead on the 4 thin spots (all outside tubes). One tube was leaking badly, another had a small leak, the two other end tubes had 1/16" of gasket sealing them but they weren't leaking. Headers are back on the car now. I took the oil filter plate off and put a 90 degree adapter on because oil filter was laying on the headers. I had to loosen the headers to get the filter off with the plate. Now oil filter is nice and far away! Still have to adjust the valves and look some other stuff over before starting again.

HeaderFlangeWeld.jpg

Took headers off last night and had the header fabricator add a bead on the 4 thin spots (all outside tubes). One tube was leaking badly, another had a small leak, the two other end tubes had 1/16" of gasket sealing them but they weren't leaking. Headers are back on the car now. I took the oil filter plate off and put a 90 degree adapter on because oil filter was laying on the headers. I had to loosen the headers to get the filter off with the plate. Now oil filter is nice and far away! Still have to adjust the valves and look some other stuff over before starting again.

I have admit one thing... that's the first time I have ever seen anyone have to do that to headers. lol

I probably could have used high temp sealer or some other band aid approach. This way there will be metal pinching the gasket and no need for sealer. Should be a better long term solution.

Good to see you got it solved. One other person had a similar situation now that I recall using tti and E-heads that were ported.

That sounds great. I love the shot with the garage half open. Like a wild animal looking out from a nest/den waiting to pounce!

-
Back