New Starter Issues

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
So I just replaced my starter today since the old one died on me. I just replaced it with a remanufactured original starter for the car, didn't upgrade to a ram like many suggested for other reasons.

Well now that the new starter is installed I tried to fire the car up. It started the car fine, but sounded really high pitched when cranking, and then a clicking noise was happening while the engine was running. Now I had a clicking noise before the last time the car sat for a couple days, and the car has sat for the past 3 days, but not sure if they are the same sounds. As far as the high pitched cranking I imagine that could be something with me comparing it with the old more worn out starter. Wondering what you guys think the problems could be. Will try to take a video tomorrow so you can actually hear it.

It is not unusual for a new or remanufactured starter to have a different sound than the old one. I don't know why you have the clicking sound tho.

Any noise from the starter while the engine is running is bad. Double check the installation to be sure its centered and bolts are tight. Sounds like its just not disengaging. May have to replace it again.
You can also try to bump the key a few time to see if frees up.

Yeah I'm going to jack it back up again and check it all out tomorrow for sure. Was just wondering what people thought it would be and what the fixes/causes for those things would be.

Yeah check to make sure its tight and also take a look at the flexplate and the bolts. Clicking might be something like a cracked flexplate or backed off bolt.

Yeah check to make sure its tight and also take a look at the flexplate and the bolts. Clicking might be something like a cracked flexplate or backed off bolt.

Not even sure where the flexplate is lol, but thanks I'll see if I can find some info on that.

Not even sure where the flexplate is lol, but thanks I'll see if I can find some info on that.

Flex plate is used on an automatic transmission car. The plate bolts to the crankshaft and the plate has 4 mounting holes where the transmisson torque converter bolts to the flexplate. The ring gear is welded to the converter and the starter drives the ring gear to crank the engine.

On a manual shift car you have a flywheel that is bolted to the crankshaft. The flywheel has the ring gear mounted on it.

It is kind of common to have the torque converter to flex plate mounting bolts back out and make noises as they rub/hit on items such as the back of the block or starter.

So the clicking is gone making me think it was the same thing that happened last time the car sat for a few days, something started sticking and once driven and oil pumped through the system it loosened up. Starter sounds fine too, so it was probably all just in my head, but thanks for all the answers guys.

-
Back