New starter

-

Futzy1

Reaction score
Alright, so got my 73 dart 225 4 door fully road worthy. ie: got all exterior lights working, and the car can stop now which is a plus. engine and Trans are in great shape, but every time I turn the key, the starter sounds like a gravel tumbler. So here's where I'm at, I'm looking to replace the starter, but from what I understand new starters are mini. are there any major complications, other parts I need to replace at the same time? pretend like I don't know anything, and give me what you got.

Thanks as always.

You can still get after market starters for your car at basically any parts store. Really no need to go with a mini.

My Autozone shows three choices in stock at the local store.

Yep same here. Pretty inexpensive too. I think like 40 to 50 dollars.

I don't know if its a mini but mine is smaller than the one that came off it and it's fine. In fact it does great

Cant you get one for a 95 Dakota with a 318 and its a mini anyways?

Go to any .partstore.com and price the OEM starter reman'd and the mini starter reman'd.
Those numbers suggest you'll be using junk yard starters forever and ever amen.

I just looked and I'm coming up with reman $53 at Advanced Auto. I'm sure our shop cost would be around $35. The mini's are more, but why use one on a /6 when you can get a reman for that price? Yes, the mini's are higher torque/smaller but in a /6 it's really not necessary IMO. Even if it goes bad in a year or two,.it's simple to replace in a /6 and cheap. I'm pretty sure the mini's need to be clocked or the positive terminal needs to be modified, but not sure on a /6.

Last edited:
I just looked and I'm coming up with reman $53 at Advanced Auto. I'm sure our shop cost would be around $35. The mini's are more, but why use one on a /6 when you can get a reman for that price? Yes, the mini's are higher torque/smaller but in a /6 it's really not necessary IMO. Even if it goes bad in a year or two,.it's simple to replace in a /6 and cheap. I'm pretty sure the mini's need to be clocked or the positive terminal needs to be modified, but not sure on a /6.

Slant six .org has info on this .Better starters than 50 year old rebuilds.Doesn't sound traditional but no one complains once they install new starters. Sure there is info on this site as well. Slant Six Dan can explain in detail .

See these are all things I needed to hear. I'm not the biggest gearhead. I picked up at 73 f250 a couple years back and started learning on that, but never got too far into it. that just sold and the family is getting bigger, so my wife said I could get another "old" car as long as it was 4 door, so now I'm learning on this. she's in fairly good shape, (the wife, and the car) but needs a little tlc. body needs a little work, the wiring was a mess but I've started cleaning that up, the rear diff is probably going to need new gears soon, but the engine and tyranny are humming, I swapped all the fluids, etc. So at this point there is no information I don't need. honestly I didn't even know the difference between a standard and a mini starter until yesterday.

See these are all things I needed to hear. I'm not the biggest gearhead. I picked up at 73 f250 a couple years back and started learning on that, but never got too far into it. that just sold and the family is getting bigger, so my wife said I could get another "old" car as long as it was 4 door, so now I'm learning on this. she's in fairly good shape, (the wife, and the car) but needs a little tlc. body needs a little work, the wiring was a mess but I've started cleaning that up, the rear diff is probably going to need new gears soon, but the engine and tyranny are humming, I swapped all the fluids, etc. So at this point there is no information I don't need. honestly I didn't even know the difference between a standard and a mini starter until yesterday.

Slant Six Forum This is the link for the slant six forum- lots of useful info. There is no less on this site but this is slant 6 specific. Use the search engine for specific topics & info.

Mini is half the size and weight. If you want optimum reliability, carry a spare in the trunk and still have the same weight as the original starter. They have more torque than the original and can turn over a big-block w/ high compression so a slant won't stress it. $10 at a junkyard. I took one off a Cash for Clunkers Jeep GC V-8. For those w/ a V-8, a mini is a no-brainer after working a factory starter up past the steering and exhaust. A slant starter swap is so easy.

I've done both.
As for modifying for a mini, it was super simple. Mostly just some cutting with a sharp knife.
But, it's really not necessary to go to the mini with a /6. The up side is that they are readily available and not terribly expensive.
The original starter is great choice also. There is nothing quite like that sound a gear reduction starter makes. You stand a better chance getting a car started with a low battery with one of those.
The really nice thing about swapping off a /6 starter is all you got to do is put the hood up. No jack required!
My personal preference; go back with a gear reduction starter.
The mini is the way to go if you have a V8, and sure makes the job easier, but a /6 just doesn't need the mini and they're also very easy to get.

-
Back