new to 5.7 hemi swap..

-

mopow3r

Reaction score
im thinking about 5.7 hemi swapping my 69 dart, now i do plan on switching to a carbed intake, but what all goes into the swap? like what do i need electronic wise, trans wise? any suprises i might bump into or anything i want to avoid? thanks for any and all help!!

You'll want to get the appreciate swap mounts, you'll need some type of electronics to run the coils, like the hemi6 with the proper harness, one for efi, one for carb. Look into exhaust, tti has a set of 5.7 hemi swap into a-body, you'll need a oil filter relocation kit, tti oil block plate, which blocks off the current oil filter location, some people have had luck with running the oil filter 45* adaptor by trimming the sleeve on the adapter, and running a smaller or shorter filter.
Depends on your Trans, 727, A833, or if your going with a modern Trans,
727 there is an adapter,
A833 you have to trim the the input shaft 5/8-7/8 of an inch
Modern Trans needs tunnel work.
Carb options, Elderbrock, dual quad
XV carb setup
You'll need to run a fuel pump for the hemi

I'll take that Hemi in your pic if you don't want it--Steve

Also keep in mind the newer 09 -up 5.7 engines have some differences. They share the 6.1 port size on intake and exhaust .
We had to go with a Charlie pan on our 2013 5.7 hemi ,was told the rails are different and the milodon would not work.

and what year 5.7 do i want to look for??

I think for the price , why not go with the newest 09- and up. They have the larger port eagle heads and are 370-390 HP stock , add headers and a better tune and your over 400hp with good gas mileage and driveability of a new car. You can get one for $3k or less with low miles , the one we found for our project had 3500 miles and looks new .Plug and play harness and factory ecm are available for them.

One thing to know--You will NOT regret the decision to do this,Do your research and have a good plan and don't look back and DON'T listen to the naysayers here about going the carb route,They work and work good--Steve

I run the 727 with a 6.1, with a Reverse Full Manual valve body.

I also run a carb on an Indy Modman intake.

Jury is out on how much Im technically leaving on the table... But it made 360 at the rears thru a 3800 stall so I figure Im making 450 with a baby cam....so maybe 20 less than the EFI equivalent.

I just purchased a complete 2010 Ram PU drivetrain 5.7 w/ trans, computer and pedal for $2500. Has 59,000 miles.

Planning on putting into my 69 Barracuda Convertible. Love the posts, will come in handy!

-
Back