New To Forum and New Car

-

photorep

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1974 Plymouth Scamp...318 ci.stock motor. It is in really good shape with almost no rust...you gotta love a California car. The last owner redid the interior, not great but nice and the body is straight.

My plans are to turn it into a nice driver with some basic upgrades..
a more aggressive cam, 4 barrel and headers. And of course a paint job and dash restoration
My questions are:

What headers can I use and still retain the power steering?
What cam do some of you experienced Mopar guys recommend?
And what intake/ carb combo works best on this engine?

Also, I can't put a TON of money in it so if any of you have any suggestions on where to shop or if you have any parts that you can sell that would fit with my plans..Thanks

Attachments

• Scamp email_edited-1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 179
I guess you thought you could just go buy a car and elbow your way in here

Well you thought.......RIGHT!!

Welcome to the bunch. Lots of us in the same boat, IE budget minded drivers.

I did a lot of thread reading on this forum and learned quite a bit. My experience with rebuilding cars is pretty thin...well really almost non-existent.

The people on the forum seem very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge. I am looking forward to all of your help in the coming months(years) as i work on my car.
By the way here is the interior.

Attachments

• interior email_edited-1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 166
Sweet car, looks clean.

Welcome!

As far as mods go:

Lots of headers fit, however, if you dont want them to scrape when you drive... Go with ttiexhaust.com, they make headers, and full exhaust kits, i just installed one, you wont be disappointed. They are not the cheapest, but I went through several "cheaper" headers before these and really like the quality, and ground clearance. The kit it nice bends, and quality hangers...

Guys say different things for cams, I would look into comp cams xtreme energy cams, i wanna say there is a 260 or 268 hyd that would be nice in a 318 with the right headers, torque converter and gears.

For intakes, lots of guys go edelbrock, the 318 has smaller ports, so the performer RPM or airgap are oversized. They used to make a LD4B intake with small ports that ran great on 273/318 motors. I believe i saw a ad for 1 in the for sale section within the last week... A plain performer will work, so will lots of others, look for a dual plane intake, not a single plane... Stay away from the SP2, it is a fuel economy manifold that isnt intended for power at all...

Carb, i say holley, or something of the same make, 600-625 cfm. In my opinion they are easier to tune and treak on the fly then the carter/edelbrock carbs. That is once again my opinion, lots of guys like the others...

Good luck, i am sure some other will chime in with more input too,

Joe

Welcome to FABO from another SoCal member. You're going to have fun here!
Nice clean Scamp.
Have you had a chance to attend either of the 'Spring Fling' or 'Fall Fling' car shows in Van Nuys yet?

I just thought of another question...the fender tag denotes a torqueflight trans.
Is this the 727 or 904 that I see mentioned on the forum posts

Attachments

• Fender tag.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 175
No I haven't been to any car shows but am looking forward to it. Where can I find the schedules. Also, I live in Sherman Oaks. If anyone is nearby, I could use a local expert to call on if I get stuck.

I just thought of another question...the fender tag denotes a torqueflight trans.
Is this the 727 or 904 that I see mentioned on the forum posts

As far as I know the best/quickest way is to look under the car at the shape of the trans pan... They look different, one has a triangle cut corner, can't remember which... use the search function... I would venture it is a 904.

Not to give ya grief, but lots of guys look are more likely to see and answer questions in the forum topic section related to the question. (just to help ya out a bit)

btw, here is a LD4b intake for sale...
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=167919

JOE

Welcome... Nice looking car.

For the trans it's most likely a 904, look at the pan shape, If it has a step out area near the dipstick, it's a 727. 904 is a squarish shape with a corner cut off.

116_0302_trans05_z.jpg

Intake see if you can get a LD4b, good intake. Weiand stealth is also another good one
Carb, anything in the 600 range should be good. I prefer holleys.

Camshaft... XE256-262H or a Lunati 60402 Any of those will work well in a 318 and not kill the factory rockers. The more converter you run, the bigger the cam.

Headers that don't hang low, only two choices, Dougs and tti.

Welcome to FABO Photorep!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Looking forward to more pictures - We love pictures!

Great looking Scamp - You will enjoy that car

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• DSC06602.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 93
-
Back