new to forum, have rear end question

-

redfivexw

Reaction score
Hi,
i just signed up for this site, so please forgive me if this has been covered before. I have a 73 duster, had a slant in it. Just finished swapping to a 318, automatic. I am wondering if there is an economical rear end i can swap in as i have heard the stock one will not survive. I dont want to break the bank. Is there a complete rear axle assembly i can remove from a boneyard car like a fifth avenue or similar that will fit? Any and all advice,links, etc is appreciated. thanks!

Let me start by welcoming you to the forum.
And yes that subject has been talked about numerous times.
It depends by what you mean by economical...
I would recommend staying with an "A" body unit, therefore no modifications required for axle lengths and leaf spring relocations (can get $).

An 8 1/4" unit are still quite available at a reasonable price, and can take some abuse.

What rear do you have in it now?

All the best.

Welcome
That 7&1/4 rear came in thousands of stock 318 cars. I have 3 of them. Ok 1 is a 273. :)
There are 8&1/4 rears under certain year model of Jeep Cherokees that bolt right in.

thanks for the advice, i am glad i found this site. I have been on the slantsix site for a while, but this project (6 to 8) is unforgiveable over there! anyway, so you guys think the 7 1/4 will be ok? To me economical is when i can go to the junkyard and pick up a complete setup for $100 bucks or so. I did a lot of work with gm stuff in the past and the rear ends were very interchangeable and cheap/easy to find, etc. Even for posi. I have 2 dusters now, one 70 with a slant and now the 73. I have found the parts to be a quite a bit harder to find, more expensive, etc. It is worth it, though, because in the past 2 years i have really become a mopar fan, especially the abodies! Someone said that a jeep cherokees rear might fit, anyone have any more info on that? I have not been able to find any a body rear ends locally (massachusetts) at all.

Welcome redfivexw. NY and Mass can be harder to locate parts but your
7 1/4 should run for a while.

nice cars in your sigs everybody, i will try and get a pic of my slant duster up soon (just got it up :) ). The one i am building now is going to be rally red, currently in different shades of primer! I was reading some posts and seen quite a few questions on this. I guess i am most interested in the jeep and diplomat/fury 8 1/4 rear ends as those are easy to come by here. Is there any complete how to articles on this swap?

-
Back