New to Mopar with a Few Questions

-

EdM

Reaction score
I acquired my car a few days ago. I would like to add power assist to the brakes (factory front discs) and would like a recommendation on what to install. I also want to install a quick ratio steering box. The best I can tell is Borgason is the only such supplier? Please recommend a new or rebuild shop that can do this. Lastly, what shoes/pads are recommended? The brakes are pretty spooky requiring a very heavy foot to slow down. Thanks in advance.

eRhbcZB.jpg

W89TIJu.jpg

You will obviously need to add a brake booster and possibly a new master cylinder to effect, power brakes. The Ram Man is an expert in this endeavor. Home As far as steering, you can use a different Mopar steering box, or go to Borgeson.

That car's a beauty! :thumbsup:

Others can assist with the brakes, but Firm Feel makes several choices for fast ratio boxes. Stock on my 66 Valiant manual steering is 24:1. I went one step faster, to 20:1 as I'm keeping the manual box. They make a 16:1 and I believe if you change out the pitman arm for one of theirs, it can get down to 12:1. I see you have power steering so you can handle a fast ratio better than I can. I can recommend Firm Feel, I've dealt with them many times. They are good guys and very knowledgeable. I've heard good things about Red Head in Seattle, but I've not dealt with them. Might be worth a call to both of these guys.

Welcome to MoPars. We are strange but good people. Honestly it looks like the car is very pretty. Not sure BUT you can change the master cylinder to one with a larger bore/ piston and get better braking pressure.

You should find a complete system if you decide to go that route. A kit that includes a matched system. Master, booster and calipers/ rotors. I can only reference factory swaps from small to big bolt pattern disk brake swaps. May not be the road you want. Again nice looking car. Looks like you have a few nice rides in the stable.

That's a Nice car. I'm familiar with it. My buddy owned and built it. However, it has gone through some hands
in the last 15 years.

I acquired my car a few days ago. I would like to add power assist to the brakes (factory front discs) and would like a recommendation on what to install.
Sharp looking car. Looks like its got some modifications (flat drive belt, maybe a sanden A/c compressor, headers)
Lastly, what shoes/pads are recommended? The brakes are pretty spooky requiring a very heavy foot to slow down. Thanks in advance.
Actually, I'd suggest starting with pads and shoes. First thing is see what brakes are on the car and make all are working as they should. Break down what part of the braking requires excessive force or doesn't stop the car. Response to the initial application of the brakes depends a lot on the rear, as the car decelerates weight shifts forward and the front do more of the work.
Manual front disks will require more pedal force than drums, but not what I'd call a heavy foot.
So. #1, Take off a wheel and see what system is on the car. Take a photo, post it up. Its probably 4 piston fixed caliper, or a sliding caliper but could be an after market setup. Then do the same on the rear. It's probably a 10x1.75" drum, but could be something else.
#2 Adjust the rear brakes and/or remove the drums to make sure everything was installed correctly.
Then its time to make sure the hydraulics are working, and if all is good there, then get some good pads and shoes for street use. What to get depends on what you have on there now.

I also want to install a quick ratio steering box. The best I can tell is Borgason is the only such supplier?
Firm Feel, and Steer and Gear are your choices for power steering with feel.
Firm Feel and maybe Peter Bergman have quicker ratio manual boxes. 24:1 is stock, 20:1 and 16:1 are the faster choices. 16:1 is most useful for slaloms and the hardest to parallel park.
Only place I'd buy a Borgason is from Peter Bergman since he seems to have worked out many of the details that will either drive you nuts and/or eat a ton of time .
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...rgeson-bergman-kit-with-pics.html#Post2686096

-
Back