New to Mopars

-

tnts72

Reaction score
Picked up my first Mopar last night. Have always been a Chevy fan / builder. Came across a good deal on a 1972 "Gold Duster" and couldnt pass it up. Looking forward to absorbing as much information as I can from the Mopar faithfuls on this board! Needs a little work in the rear 1/4's and all the old paint stripped off from some poorly peformed jobs in the past, but should make a full recovery. Don't know if the gold interior will survive or if she will be converted to black, opinions?? The wife now has her first project car. She is officially in the family even though she wanted a Mopar! Will say I have always liked seeing the Mopars at the track and car shows.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image (5).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 151
  • image (4).jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 133
  • image (6).jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 123
  • image (8).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 132
Car is for the wife, she likes the body style. Well done dusters are pretty sharp so we will have to see how this goes.

Thanks guys, looking forward to picking up some parts for her from some of you along the way!

Welcome to FABO! Like the Duster, like the year! Good luck with the project. Got ideas of what you want to do yet, engine, drive train etc?

Has a 318 / 727 combo in it now. Thinking she can drive it like that for a little bit to get a feel for it. Would like to find an 8 3/4 rear with some 355 ish gears so it will not be a total slug. Might put a cam / edelbrock rpm air gap on the 318 when I pull it to clean it up. When she is ready for it maybe a 340 if I can happen to run across one. Mild 440 not out of the question but will be primarily a driver. Interior pictures make her look a bit better than it really is. Quite faded / practically off white / cream colored. I was really looking for one that was all there that someone else hadn't hacked up. Here's a picture of my Malibu, no plans to make the duster a bracket blaster but she will get some good stuff along the way!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 100
Has a 318 / 727 combo in it now. Thinking she can drive it like that for a little bit to get a feel for it. Would like to find an 8 3/4 rear with some 355 ish gears so it will not be a total slug. Might put a cam / edelbrock rpm air gap on the 318 when I pull it to clean it up. When she is ready for it maybe a 340 if I can happen to run across one. Mild 440 not out of the question but will be primarily a driver. Interior pictures make her look a bit better than it really is. Quite faded / practically off white / cream colored. I was really looking for one that was all there that someone else hadn't hacked up. Here's a picture of my Malibu, no plans to make the duster a bracket blaster but she will get some good stuff along the way!

10.5 wide racer? C'mon man, give us the goods!...

Parts list currently stands at:
Rear 1/4 patch panels
Drivers side front fender
Drivers side tail light pan corner section
Trunk pan sections that meet up with the rear 1/4's
Sill plates
Front disc brakes and a arms / new manual brake booster
Manual steering box - maybe some headers
8 3/4 rear and some new wheels and tires - go to 4.5" bolt pattern
And probably a little transmission work after seeing the exploding 727 tf thread!
����

Also planning to put a full set of autometer cobalts in this one as Scamp did.

Malibu is an Afr headed pump gas 406 / built th 350 / 12 bolt with 4.56's. Have owned it since I was 14, built it with my old man for my first car, has slowly been built up over the years. Runs 6.90's in the 8th, that picture is leaving at 2500 off the footbrake. Have a super victor intake to try on it either later this year or next year, methanol conversion may also be in the future. Have a 750 methanol carb sitting on the bench, just waiting.:burnout:

Malibu is an Afr headed pump gas 406 / built th 350 / 12 bolt with 4.56's. Have owned it since I was 14, built it with my old man for my first car, has slowly been built up over the years. Runs 6.90's in the 8th, that picture is leaving at 2500 off the footbrake. Have a super victor intake to try on it either later this year or next year, methanol conversion may also be in the future. Have a 750 methanol carb sitting on the bench, just waiting.:burnout:

Hell Yes!!! Hot rodding,at it's finest. Thanks, for the info...

Cool Malibu--looks like a fun ride! As for the Duster, the interior may be faded, but at least it's in good repair. Legendary makes seat cover kits and door panels...beyond that, yours and the wife's choice. Lots of drivetrain options-if you can't find a decently priced 8 3/4 rear in your area and don't feel like dropping the money, you can modify an 8.8 out of an Explorer rear and slap it up in there...there's a sticky already in the drivetrain section for that.

And Welcome to FABO! Looking forward to seeing you in the threads

-
Back