new to site nitrous q's

-

fast318dart

Reaction score
hey guys whats up, new to site and was wondering what you all think of my setup and future plan for this car,and anything you would do different. I've got a '74 dodge dart with a 318 in it bored .030 over, kb pistons, eagle sir rods, edelbrock heads, rpm air gap intake, proform main with AED baseplate, hooker super comp 15/8 headers, csi water pump, msd billet distributor, msd wires, msd 6a box and blaster coil. The tansmission is a 727 with reverse manual valve body, tci 8" converter. Rear axle is ford 8" with 4.62 gears, springs relocated with super stock springs, mopar race shocks, m/t 26x10 slicks. The car runs between 7.50 and 7.55's right now but I want to add about a 100 shot to it, just wondering if it would be safe or would you advise against it. And is there anything you guys can suggest to maybe make it even quicker. thanks kirk

aslong as the rings were gapped right the KB will take the 100 shot without a problem. Whats the rest of your fuel system ?

Tank?
Lines?
pump?

Thats a nice combo you have for sure. Welcome to the site.

WELCOME and have FUN!!!
NICE COMBO YOU GOT THERE!!.....what do you have for a cam??

i wouldnt go much over a 100 shot with those pistons though.

the rest of my fuel system consists of a 16 gal rci fuel cell, russel -08an fuel line and a holley blue pump. The cam is a Lunati 292 duration, .480 lift hydraulic. I don't know exactly what the rings are gapped to. Nelson Bros. racing here in Largo built the short block and knew that the motor was going in a drag car. That kind of sucks because theres not really anyway to now without tearing it apart which I really do not want to do. thanks for the input guys.

I advise against the NOS with those pistons. They say they can take it but, what is your timing set at? I'd be very careful, timing, nitrous and KB's is a fine line to run.
I dont think a blue is enough for both. I know from experience, nitrous works great! It takes a toll. Especially on an engine not set up for it.
You have a good combo. 7.40s is fast.

I'm not really worried about the fuel pump not being able to support the motor and nitrous because my buddy has one of them stupid mustangs with a 351 and a cheater. my timing is 38 degrees all in by 3000.

The Blue pump is more than enough for the smaller plate systems. 100hP is well within the reach of those pistons, but you really need to know what the ring gap was set at. KB recommends lots of extra clearance, due to the piston's high top ring land. If this was done, you're fine. If it wasnt, you may not have had any problems, but you may with any NO2 system use. Follow the kit guide lines..retard timing 2* for every 100hp, and make sure the fule pressure stays over 5psi WITH THE SOLENOID OPEN. I ran as low as 3.5 psi in my 150hp kits, but leaner means hotter, and more chance to detonate..You'll really understand detonation if it happens with those pistons.

-
Back