New to the forum

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the forum here. I traded my 65 Barracuda Commando 4 speed in 1974 (Ft. Walton Beach, FL) on a new pick up truck. One of the dumbest things I ever did in my life. I've looked for the car for the past thirty-some years without luck. I've even had many dreams over the years of finding it. Well after a great deal of talking and patience, I finally found a "gem in the rough." I want to go at it slow and easy, having first to decide to "clone or leave it original. Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the information I know that everyone here has to offer.
Thanks
Norm

Attachments

• barracuda front.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 191
  • barracuda left.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 212
  • barracuda interior.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 214
  • barracuda engine.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 239
  • barracuda right.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 198
Welcome to FABO, sweet find and looks solid! Any pics of your original car?

I've got some better ones, have to find them. These were handy...sure do miss that car. These pictures were taken around 1966. We had a road close to where I lived, where we would "test" our equipment. At the time these were made, I had just install a complete "slightly shortened" rear-end out of a Dodge station wagon. The future held headers, cam, heads, tires, suspension and many trips down the drag strip. F/S Miami Hollywood Drag Strip.
I owned it from early 1966 to October 1974.
Norm

Attachments

• barracuda miami.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 209
  • barracuda miami 3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 204
  • barracuda miami 1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 198
  • barracuda miami 2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 224
I've got some better ones, have to find them. These were handy...sure do miss that car. These pictures were taken around 1966. We had a road close to where I lived, where we would "test" our equipment. At the time these were made, I had just install a complete "slightly shortened" rear-end out of a Dodge station wagon. The future held headers, cam, heads, tires, suspension and many trips down the drag strip. F/S Miami Hollywood Drag Strip.
I owned it from early 1966 to October 1974.
Norm

Awesome!!!

Welcome to the site, those are great pics you posted. Good luck with the new project, I like it already!

Welcome, I like em original but if you missed it that many years build it like it was

My Commando, rear end change, behind my 57 Chevy, coming home from Abilene, TX

Attachments

• barracuda 57.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 181
  • rear end replacement..jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Commando V8.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 194
Well ! Welcome aboard from just down 141 from you in J Town :glasses7:
Take a look around and enjoy the great tech's and folks gathered here.
Great story and sounds like it's time to make some new memories :cheers:

Well ! Welcome aboard from just down 141 from you in J Town :glasses7:
Take a look around and enjoy the great tech's and folks gathered here.
Great story and sounds like it's time to make some new memories :cheers:

I'm sure going to try. Thanks
Norm

Welcome aboard! Looks like a solid car you found.

GREAT to see pictures from back in the day!!!!!!

Hello everyone. New to the forum here. I traded my 65 Barracuda Commando 4 speed in 1974 (Ft. Walton Beach, FL) on a new pick up truck. One of the dumbest things I ever did in my life. I've looked for the car for the past thirty-some years without luck. I've even had many dreams over the years of finding it. Well after a great deal of talking and patience, I finally found a "gem in the rough." I want to go at it slow and easy, having first to decide to "clone or leave it original. Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the information I know that everyone here has to offer.
Thanks
Norm

Norm, welcome to the best source of information available online for your project!

No matter which route you take, in restoring or restifying your "new" Barracuda, this is the place to get ideas, information and parts.. it's awesome!

And, congratulations on finding the perfect car for your efforts! These things aren't getting any more plentiful, or easy to find.

My personal favorite is the second-generation A body cars (1963-1966) but I love all of them... I just find more to like in those years.

I realize that your original B'Cuda was probably a V8, and in your imagination, that configuration is likely what you'd like to re-create. That's very understandable, and makes all kinds of sense. The parts are easily obtainable to swap in a late-model 360 V8 or Magnum crate engine, for a considerable performance upgrade with a minimum of hassle. Even a stock 360 Magnum will give more-than-respectable performance in a +/- 3,000-pound A body, with little or no modifications.

But, I would ask that you read this, before making up your mind :
I have come to some inescapable (for me) conclusions. I dug up an old post that illustrates some of them. This is from a few years ago, and is pertinent to this thread, I think.

To wit:

"As I immersed myself in the postings about /6 performance, and videos on You Tube of various /6-powered cars, I began to realize some things about these slanted little devils that had escaped me for years. Here's are some things I had missed.

In a general way of looking at the /6 architecture, it says one thing in a big way: This cylinder head may be a perfect head for a 170 cubic inch engine, but trying to make a normally-aspirated 225 breathe through those same 170-sized ports is a job for Superman.

What I mean by that is, the ports and valves, as manufactured, are just too small for the amount of cylinder displacement they are asked to feed in a high-performance 225 environment.

The /6 has 225 cubic inches. If it had 8 cylinders it would be about 300 cubic inches with the same-size (37.5 cid) cylinders.

Just for comparison purposes to show what size these ports and valves are, the 1967 Chevy Z28 came with 302 cubic inches (virtually the same size cylinders as a 225 /6 engine,) and their intake valves were 2.02" in diameter (slant six "oversize racing valves" are 1.75", or fifteen percent smaller than the "stock" 302"-Chevy valves, and the 1.6" Chevy stock exhaust valves are still 6-percent larger than the "oversize racing" /6, 1.5" exhaust valves. To say nothing of the stock /6 valves...

The Z-28 Chevy ports in the head are commensurately larger, so that the flow numbers are a pretty good match for the valves, in their stock configuration.

The bottom line is, a mildly ported (302) Chevy intake port will flow close to 280cfm to feed the same size cylinder that the /6 is trying to fill with that 1.75" valve that is in a head, that after porting, will flow 220cfm, absolute max...

The slant's big, heavy, crankshaft doesn't help matters, especially when winding up 1st gear.

So, here's what I have learned:

I watched videos of the chopped, 2,350-pound "MadMax" 1st generation Valiant with a normally-aspirated /6 running 11.50s with NO power adder of any kind.

That car is incredibly fast and quick (watch how it hooks!!!)
I've never seen anything like it!
I didn't REALIZE that a normally-aspirated Valiant or Dart could run like that!

I happened onto two more videos on You Tube that opened my eyes even further.

There were two videos of turbocharged 225's that blew my mind. Tom Wolfe has a 3,300-pound '70 Dart that has run 11.02 with a new 225 motor (at 122 mph), into a 15-mph headwind, while another forced induction racer (turbo66Valiant) posted videos that showed his pristine '66 Valiant running some 10.70's, which is about a full second quicker than the already fast, but unblown, Mad Max car.
Not to belittle the Mad Max car, because it's stupid fast for its combination, but that '66 Valiant is I believe, 500 pounds heaver and a full second quicker. And, its running a 727 (heavy) transmission... probably about .2 and 3mph slower than it might have been with a 904.

So, what did I learn from all this???

Not so fast; I said I was a slow learner, and I surely am...

I did a lot of research about the /6 motor, and one thing stood out:

It's built like a brick pagoda. Its aluminum ancestry seems to have left it with an infrastructure that has no equal in the modern automotive world, when it comes to strength and rigidity.

Remember that big, heavy, crankshaft I was carping about awhile back?

Well, I found that the early models are forged, have internal balance, and bearings the same size as the 426 Hemi.

As close to an unbreakable stock crank as you can probably find; it's short and stout!

The block's cylinder walls can be bored over .100", the head can be milled that much if need be, (over .100") and the top of the block is pretty thick, but I have no reliable numbers for that. I think it's thicker than half-an-inch.

What all this means is, unlike the Buick GN turbo motors which (the stock stuff) don't seem to want to stay together if the boost goes much over 20-pounds, it's an open question as to just how much boost one of these /6 motors could stand, if someone really got serious, because K-1 is making some great-looking forged rods for a 225, and forged pistons are available from Wiseco in a .065"-overbore, creating a 234 cubic inch motor.

Shaker223 (Tom Wolfe) and and turbo66valiant (Ryan Peterson) are probably generating over 500 flywheel hp as we speak, but can 600 hp be far behind?

It's not necessary to build a 500hp motor to have fun with a turbocharged /6.

Three-hundred horsepower at the crank will move one of these early A bodies along, smartly…

I was trying to point out the fact that, given the handicap of the original cylinder head, no amount of port or valve work, is going to make possible the kind of power-increases we seek in this 225 motor.

Ed Thomson (805moparkid on FABO) has a well-built '68 Dart that he has spent considerable time and money on in an effort to achieve impressive quarter-mile times. it has a minimal amount of "lightening" (a fiberlass hood, etc), and the usual hardware upgrades to its 225 slant six; I think it's bored, has a fully-ported head, with bigger valves, higher compression (I don't remember what the exact figure is,) headers, a 4-bbl carb and manifold, a re-curved spark-advance, a deep-geared 8.75" rear end, I believe, sub-frame connectors, a radical cam and some upgraded valve springs.

It is a well-built car, worked on by a guy who obviously knows what he is doing.

It has yet, to make a pass into the 13-second zone. Low-14's are "it," for now...
My friend Tom Wolfe (Shaker223 on FABO) took his bone stock 1970 Dart 225, added a 4bbl manifold, a 4bbl carb and a junkyard Buick Grand National turbo and went 12.98-seconds @ 102mph in the quarter.. No other changes; the stock head (with those tiny valves) had never been off the 100,000+-mile engine.

That's a full-second faster than Ed's car.... with a stock short block, and gearing!

I am not belittling Ed's efforts here; he's done a really nice job with that car and hasn't made any mistakes that I am aware of. What he's accomplished is what any competent mechanic/hot rodder could expect to accomplish with the same assortment of parts.

It's that ^%$#@&*%!!! cylinder head!

Even ported to the max, and with oversize valves, it is a bottle-neck that cannot be "fixed."

Unless...

A turbocharger makes an end-run around all those breathing problems.

Make no mistake; turbocharging one of these engines is not an easy task (but, it IS relatively cheap, compared to trying to get the same amount of power, naturally-aspirated.)

But, it's getting easier all the time, because of the burgeoning market in turbos and related equipment.

The fact is, you can make an easy 300 horsepower with about 12 pounds of boost on (good) pump gas, and still use your stock pistons and rods with good reliability. I would recommend two things; a water/alcohol spray unit for the intake charge, and a GOOD, wide-band, data-logging 0-2 sensor (such as sold by F.A.S.T.) for tuning the mixture.

That is the single most important piece of hardware needed, and to try this without it is.... just not something I would recommend.

A two-barrel carb on a Super Six manifold would be ideal for this “cheap-out” combo.

A PISHTA (FABO name) -designed J-pipe turbo-mount would make headers unnecessary.

I honestly believe that even with the learning curve involved, the time spent chasing parts, and the time spent designing the layout, an aspiring racer would still be money and time ahead with the hairdryer setup vs. a V8 swap.

The advantages are numerous' the engine will make more power than a stock 340 V8, it will have excellent drive-ability (smooth idle and a lot of low-end torque,) LIKES a 2.73:1 axle ratio, both for performance and the highway, (so an overdrive is not needed,) it's quiet... the turbo homoginizes the sound waves, so you probably won't even need a muffler, and your stock 8.25" rear end is fine for this. A stock torque converter is also perfect for this app.

Opting for a normally-aspirated (225) engine with THAT (170) cylinder head just seems counter-productive to me. You can easily spend $1,500.00 on porting and big valves in that head and still end up with less than 300 hp.... Ed Thompson had that setup maximized (as far as I could see,) and that was his case...

Albert Einstein couldn't figure out a way to put enough air through that head (naturally-aspirated) to make decent power...

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.. and that original 170-designed head IS a sow’s ear on a 225.

But, there's a way around it....

Forced induction...

The fact is, swapping in a bigger V8 to replace a slant six has several time and money-consuming issues that do not have to be addressed when using the original powertrain.

Obtaining a completely different transmission case (904.)

Changing to a generally-expensive 8.75" rear housing and pumpkin. A much cheaper and easier to find, 8.25"-unit will work well. Money saved...

No money need be spent on valvetrain components beyond some 340 springs and a flat tappet cam and lifters. If you don't want or need more than say, 275 horsepower, the stock valvetrain in its entirity, will suffice.

A stock torque converter will work nicely.

A PISHTA-designed turbo mount will eliminate the need for headers. More money saved...

The stock head will work nicely, up to about 275 hp...

IF you want 500 hp. it is available at under 5,500 rpm, but requires more boost (25+ pounds), so forged internals are required.

It's not as easy as just swapping in a V8, perhaps, but is in the same ballpark, I think.

And the interest it generates on the street, or at a show, in impressive! High-performance slant six-powered cars are not too plentiful... but V8 Barracudas are everywhere...

Food for thought.

Lots of information here...

I'd ask tthat you consider the performance of this '66 Valiant....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for listening...:cheers:

Attachments

• js640_js640_turboside.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_3720.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 153
I say drive the wheels off that puppy, it looks like a great car!! Welcome to FABO, glad to have you with us!! Geof

Welcome to the site!!!

Thanks for posting your pictures...new project as well as your original Barracuda. Your Commando engine picture is awesome! I love the look of the original batteries!

Thanks to everyone here for the Kudos. The post by Bill Dedman is a real "head turner." Makes you go hummmm! I did a (bottom-up) "block stock" 66, 4 door, /6, Valiant for my wife to drive in late 79, We got shipped out to Guam the following year. I sold my new truck and we took the Plymouth to Guam. A local at the Commercial Port offered to buy it as it was being off loaded from the ship for 5,000.00. His brother had a taxi cab service. That car was run down the runway at N.W. Field many times and would bury the speed-o-meter with little effort. I drove it on the Island for nearly 4 years and sold it for 3,000.00 the day we shipped out. I should of brought her home, instead I opted out for a new Toyota 4WD truck. :(
Again, thanks for the welcome and I'll try and keep posting my progress.
Norm

Thanks to everyone here for the Kudos. The post by Bill Dedman is a real "head turner." Makes you go hummmm! I did a (bottom-up) "block stock" 66, 4 door, /6, Valiant for my wife to drive in late 79, We got shipped out to Guam the following year. I sold my new truck and we took the Plymouth to Guam. A local at the Commercial Port offered to buy it as it was being off loaded from the ship for 5,000.00. His brother had a taxi cab service. That car was run down the runway at N.W. Field many times and would bury the speed-o-meter with little effort. I drove it on the Island for nearly 4 years and sold it for 3,000.00 the day we shipped out. I should of brought her home, instead I opted out for a new Toyota 4WD truck. :(
Again, thanks for the welcome and I'll try and keep posting my progress.
Norm

Norm, here sre some more thoughts on how to go about this project as regards engine choice:

You really can't make a mistake here RE: engine choice, no matter which you choose. The 318/360 is a great engine with lots of potential, and can be hopped-up to give some very satisfying performance on the street. But, if you're going to have to buy a V8 anyway, you can probably buy a 360 Magnum nearly as cheaply as you can buy the 318, and the additional 42 cubic inches will be nice to have, with most aftermarket*speed equipment fitting both motors.

Does your car already have a slant six in it? If it does, and you choose to turbocharge it, it will have a financial start on the V8s for the following reasons:

You won't have to spend the money on a different basic engine to work with.
There is a long list of things for a V8 swap that you won't have to buy if you keep the six.
Neither route is cheap, but a low 12-second slant six turbo car might well be cheaper to build than a V8 engine-swap car that will run low 12's.

I haven't done the slant 6 deal, but I have the V8. By the time you have modified a 318 or 360 (normally-aspirated) engine to make enough grunt to run low 12's in a 3,300-pound A-body, (say, 360 horsepower) it will likely need a cam with considerable duration (rough, higher-than-stock idle) and a set of headers. It won't have a lot of low-end torque, so around-town drive-ability won't be too good unless you have a loose converter, assuming it's an automatic. A stick car with that engine will need some rear end gears that will allow it to have considerable torque multiplication to move the car off the line; something in the neighborhood of 3.90-4.10:1. That will make freeway driving stressful, if you try to keep up with traffic.* Higher-than stock compression pistons will likely be needed to offset the loss of cylinder pressure that comes with a cam that has the kind of duration it takes to make one horsepower-per-cubic inch.

An 8.25" rear end will usually suffice in a car like this, but changing ratios is not a quick-and-easy job, like it is with an 8.75" drop-out unit. But, the 8.75”s are expensive... especially, for A-Bodies. You can use a B-Body rear, but that requires careful measuring and a set of wheels with a custom back-spacing. The V8 car, if you want to use it for trips, AND “performance driving,” really needs the flexibility of the easy-gear-change rear, unless you know it just won’t be used on the freeway.

On the plus side, building a low-12-second (112 mph) 318/360 A body car is like falling out of a tree. A decent set of headers, some 11:1 pistons, a slightly-warm, hydraulic roller cam and an Air Gap/ manifold and a 750 Holley, and you’re there!

The slant six is a different story, because of the lack of hop-up parts (a nice, cheap, turbo header, for instance) makes it more of a challenge to build.

But, the performance available from these engines is pretty competitive with normally-aspirated small blocks.

Two examples I have heard about come to mind:

Tom Wolfe’s ’70 Dart was equipped with a 225 slant six (a well-used, high-mileage engine) and ran a 12.90-second e.t. with a stock cam, pistons, rods, and cylinder head, using a 2.76 ring and pinion. I THINK he had installed an aftermarket intake manifold and a Holley 4-bbl carb . The turbo was a used Buick Grand National unit from a junk yard V-6. But, he used 18 pounds of boost to accomplish that, and that wouldn't be a viable, ongoing, scenario for a stock piston/rod motor because of eventual reliability issues.

At the other end of the spectrum, is Ryan Peterson’s ’66 Valiant that runs a built-up engine with a 650 (?) Holley 4-barrel carb, a ported head, big valves, and a turbo cam. It runs 127 mph in the quarter at about 2,800-pounds, and has a 10.74-second e.t., with a 727 transmission.

I posted a video of that car, running 127mph, earlier.

You probably need something in between those two.

My recommendation for the slant 6 motor would be to put a set of Wiseco forged pistons and K-1 rods in the motor, a 2-bbl Holley (500cfm) carb on it, a Snowperformance boost cooler (meth injector,) and an e-bay 65mm turbo, for starters.

The money you DON’T have to spend on putting together a car with this type of engine, will probably make it the cheaper of the two alternatives.

A stock cam will work fine, along with a set of 340 valve springs. These turbo motors (even the 500hp ones)don’t like rpm’s much over 5.500, so they last a long time.

A PISHTA-design J-pipe will work well in the absence of a real header, for mounting the turbo.
The turbocharger homogenizes the sound waves to the point that a muffler probably won’t even be necessary.

No $500.00 TTI headers or $500.00 header-back exhaust system is necessary. I have both on my Vortech-supercharged 360 Magnum-powered, ’72 Valiant, (so I know what they cost.)

Slant six turbo motors, for some reason, “like” to be held back, so the rear axle-ratios for them that work well for them on the hiway, also work well for drag racing. Both Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson run 2.76 gears in their cars.

That means that a junkyard 8.25” rear end out of an Aspen or Volare or, ’73-up A-body) will be ideal for the turbo slant 6 car, and will be bought a whole lot cheaper than the 8.75” needed by the V8 car. The V8 won't perform well on both the highway and the drag strip on the same set of gearing. That means setting up two center sections, and swaping them for highway-trips or runs down the drag strip. That necessitates an expensive A-body 8.75" housing for drop-out convenience.... $$$$$$$

Needless to say, your pump gas, low-12-second slant six car will have impeccable street manners, with its stock idle and tons of low-end torque, due to the stock cam specs.

You want to run 11’s??? Since you already spent the money for forged pistons and rods, just crank up the boost a few pounds, and ~voila~! 100 more horsepower.

Not so easy with a V8.

You pays your money and you takes your choice! A V8 car can be built while you are THINKING about putting together a turbo slant 6. The choice is yours…

Hope this helps… with pictures of my engine and the J-pipe (PISHTA-design) I mentioned... keeps you from having to weld on the original cast-iron manifold to adapt the turbo to the exhaust system.

Whatever you decide, good luck!!!:cheers:

Attachments

• 100_3705.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_3710.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_3649.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 123
  • pishtaturbo.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 104
  • PISHTAFRONT.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 111
Wow - some real good info in this Welcome post!

Anyways, from one Mopar driving retired Wingnut to another, welcome to FABO!

Norm, here sre some more thoughts on how to go about this project as regards engine choice:

You really can't make a mistake here RE: engine choice, no matter which you choose. The 318/360 is a great engine with lots of potential, and can be hopped-up to give some very satisfying performance on the street. But, if you're going to have to buy a V8 anyway, you can probably buy a 360 Magnum nearly as cheaply as you can buy the 318, and the additional 42 cubic inches will be nice to have, with most aftermarket*speed equipment fitting both motors.

Does your car already have a slant six in it? If it does, and you choose to turbocharge it, it will have a financial start on the V8s for the following reasons:

You won't have to spend the money on a different basic engine to work with.
There is a long list of things for a V8 swap that you won't have to buy if you keep the six.
Neither route is cheap, but a low 12-second slant six turbo car might well be cheaper to build than a V8 engine-swap car that will run low 12's.

I haven't done the slant 6 deal, but I have the V8. By the time you have modified a 318 or 360 (normally-aspirated) engine to make enough grunt to run low 12's in a 3,300-pound A-body, (say, 360 horsepower) it will likely need a cam with considerable duration (rough, higher-than-stock idle) and a set of headers. It won't have a lot of low-end torque, so around-town drive-ability won't be too good unless you have a loose converter, assuming it's an automatic. A stick car with that engine will need some rear end gears that will allow it to have considerable torque multiplication to move the car off the line; something in the neighborhood of 3.90-4.10:1. That will make freeway driving stressful, if you try to keep up with traffic.* Higher-than stock compression pistons will likely be needed to offset the loss of cylinder pressure that comes with a cam that has the kind of duration it takes to make one horsepower-per-cubic inch.

An 8.25" rear end will usually suffice in a car like this, but changing ratios is not a quick-and-easy job, like it is with an 8.75" drop-out unit. But, the 8.75”s are expensive... especially, for A-Bodies. You can use a B-Body rear, but that requires careful measuring and a set of wheels with a custom back-spacing. The V8 car, if you want to use it for trips, AND “performance driving,” really needs the flexibility of the easy-gear-change rear, unless you know it just won’t be used on the freeway.

On the plus side, building a low-12-second (112 mph) 318/360 A body car is like falling out of a tree. A decent set of headers, some 11:1 pistons, a slightly-warm, hydraulic roller cam and an Air Gap/ manifold and a 750 Holley, and you’re there!

The slant six is a different story, because of the lack of hop-up parts (a nice, cheap, turbo header, for instance) makes it more of a challenge to build.

But, the performance available from these engines is pretty competitive with normally-aspirated small blocks.

Two examples I have heard about come to mind:

Tom Wolfe’s ’70 Dart was equipped with a 225 slant six (a well-used, high-mileage engine) and ran a 12.90-second e.t. with a stock cam, pistons, rods, and cylinder head, using a 2.76 ring and pinion. I THINK he had installed an aftermarket intake manifold and a Holley 4-bbl carb . The turbo was a used Buick Grand National unit from a junk yard V-6. But, he used 18 pounds of boost to accomplish that, and that wouldn't be a viable, ongoing, scenario for a stock piston/rod motor because of eventual reliability issues.

At the other end of the spectrum, is Ryan Peterson’s ’66 Valiant that runs a built-up engine with a 650 (?) Holley 4-barrel carb, a ported head, big valves, and a turbo cam. It runs 127 mph in the quarter at about 2,800-pounds, and has a 10.74-second e.t., with a 727 transmission.

I posted a video of that car, running 127mph, earlier.

You probably need something in between those two.

My recommendation for the slant 6 motor would be to put a set of Wiseco forged pistons and K-1 rods in the motor, a 2-bbl Holley (500cfm) carb on it, a Snowperformance boost cooler (meth injector,) and an e-bay 65mm turbo, for starters.

The money you DON’T have to spend on putting together a car with this type of engine, will probably make it the cheaper of the two alternatives.

A stock cam will work fine, along with a set of 340 valve springs. These turbo motors (even the 500hp ones)don’t like rpm’s much over 5.500, so they last a long time.

A PISHTA-design J-pipe will work well in the absence of a real header, for mounting the turbo.
The turbocharger homogenizes the sound waves to the point that a muffler probably won’t even be necessary.

No $500.00 TTI headers or $500.00 header-back exhaust system is necessary. I have both on my Vortech-supercharged 360 Magnum-powered, ’72 Valiant, (so I know what they cost.)

Slant six turbo motors, for some reason, “like” to be held back, so the rear axle-ratios for them that work well for them on the hiway, also work well for drag racing. Both Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson run 2.76 gears in their cars.

That means that a junkyard 8.25” rear end out of an Aspen or Volare or, ’73-up A-body) will be ideal for the turbo slant 6 car, and will be bought a whole lot cheaper than the 8.75” needed by the V8 car. The V8 won't perform well on both the highway and the drag strip on the same set of gearing. That means setting up two center sections, and swaping them for highway-trips or runs down the drag strip. That necessitates an expensive A-body 8.75" housing for drop-out convenience.... $$$$$$$

Needless to say, your pump gas, low-12-second slant six car will have impeccable street manners, with its stock idle and tons of low-end torque, due to the stock cam specs.

You want to run 11’s??? Since you already spent the money for forged pistons and rods, just crank up the boost a few pounds, and ~voila~! 100 more horsepower.

Not so easy with a V8.

You pays your money and you takes your choice! A V8 car can be built while you are THINKING about putting together a turbo slant 6. The choice is yours…

Hope this helps… with pictures of my engine and the J-pipe (PISHTA-design) I mentioned... keeps you from having to weld on the original cast-iron manifold to adapt the turbo to the exhaust system.

Whatever you decide, good luck!!!:cheers:

Wow Bill! Thanks for the inspiration...Yes it has the original 225/6...My sons and I believe we could prime it up stick a battery in and it would bust off. It hasn't been run since 1988. It must of had an oil change done before it was parked...it looked brand new, never run. It would defiantly be a different type of "rod" for these parts. Again thanks, I'll keep the project posted.
Norm

Wow Bill! Thanks for the inspiration...Yes it has the original 225/6...My sons and I believe we could prime it up stick a battery in and it would bust off. It hasn't been run since 1988. It must of had an oil change done before it was parked...it looked brand new, never run. It would defiantly be a different type of "rod" for these parts. Again thanks, I'll keep the project posted.
Norm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks for listening, Norm.

Like I said earlier, you can swap a V8 into that car while you are THINKING about putting a turbo on that slant six if time is at a premium, but some folks have the available time and patience to give to a project that is A/A "Different." and would rather have something a little out of the ordinary, than to end up with, yes, a fun car, but one that is in no way "special," neither mechanically, nor cosmetically.

I think the slant car might be a little cheaper to build, but not much, due to things you already have, and wouldn't be forced to buy..

You pays the freight and makes a choice!!!! I don't think you can really make a mistake, either way...

Good luck!
PS Have you tried the local Minute Man, lately? In El Dorado, you are very lucky to have the LAST SURVIVING Minute Man, a burger place whose sandwiches I grew up on (1960's), with my favorites being a #6 with cheese, and a #2 with cheese.. and, of course, their "RADARANGE" (microwaved) individual fruit pies... Scrumptious!!!:blob: Microwave ovens were a big deal when they opened the first Minute Men in Little Rock (very early '50's I think...)

I am considering driving down to El Dorado for a burger (or, two.) If'n I do, maybe we could get together for a bite... I live in Conway.

Attachments

• 100_3622-001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 74
-
Back