new top gear on history channel

-

floivanus

Reaction score
I just saw this a few hours ago. I've been seeing it listed on history channel a few times in the last few weeks or so, and finally got a chance to stop and watch it.++

All I can say is wow, they really missed the ball on this one. The show is NOTHING like top gear on BBC is, boring, dull hosts; a complete lack of jokes and fun, and just an overall feeling of being preached at instead of having fun.

This version is more of an over-serious Car and Driver or Hemmings type of show rather than it's namesake! I hope they re-tool it or something it's far to dull right now.

Couldn't have said it better, most people that watch the actual Top Gear don't even care how they rate the cars but more about what kind of crazy things they'll say and do with them. I'm sick of watchin Tanner Foust beat on million dollar cars and give me his divine insight as if I care, go back to drifting and find the nearest wall.

Yep so far the first one sucked. Ill give it a bit to see if it gets better (a lot better) but I think short of changing out the cast its probably not going to make it out of the second season. Too bad since it would be cool to see some challenges done with our brand vehicles.

all I kept hearing out of these guys is basically what you'd read out of the brochure at the dealership. The wife and I watched it together (we love the actual topgear) and were just waiting for the jokes and crappy puns that make it so great to watch.

The closest they came to that on this episode (they were testing out lamborghinis) was one of them called the others cars banana-rama and the cream-sicle. That was the shows highlight. they didn't even drag-race the cars, a normal top-gear staple.

It's supposed to be a FUNNY, fun show. This one is just stuck on itself.

No funny preludes to the stig either. And why did they have to explain the show at the beginning?!?!? The hosts all suck. No humor no imagination. Not showing the cars running at or beyond potential. No trivial faults noted about the cars like in the last BBC topgear with the Ferrari italiana and the lack of turn switch. I always hoped they would have brought topgear here but they should get seinfield, Chris( from overhauling) and the big mustached my classic car guy!!!!! At least then they would have some petsonality in the show.

Jay Leno would be a great host. These guys... where did they find these guys anyway? And, think of some new challenges, they are just re-enacting the stuff they did in Europe - not too well. Very disapointing, I had hoped for more.

Epic Fail... A dodge tops the list of performance over 3 Lamborghini's. So much for integrity. I bleed Mopar blue, but come on.

add Christopher Titus and you've got a starting point.

Great idea! Titus and Leno would be great. They'd also have to throw in some jokes about the english too for good measure. Remember Top Gears trip through the Southern US? They were brutal. We need some payback. :snakeman:

So jay Leno, Tim Allen, and seinfield( cause you know all three of them are total gear heads)

Pretty obvious to me that Horrywood is as disconnected from the pubic as the govt. is. A good example is that mess of shZ## about so-and-so's lips, what's her name? Oh, here it is, Lisa Rinna, whoever she was

I watched ot for the first time last night. The ONLY parts I liked was when Tanner was thrashing on the Viper and then when the 3 guys all raced the Lambos in a standing mile,beside them 2 parts,I fast forwarded the show.

I like Tanner ALOT!!!! He's a racer,he knows his stuff and backs his mouth up with his driving. The other 2 jabrone's,they need to go!!!! One of the guys looks familiar but the big guy with the beard,I have NO CLUE where he is from.

I like BATTLE OF THE SUPERCARS way better!!!!!

The show is lacking personality and humor and that stats are listed like car and driver would do it. I think Jay Leno would be the perfect American counter part to Jeramy(spelling) he is VERY knolwgeable funny and has the talk show host experience. Seinfield would be the James aside from the hair. Again funny but in a strange way. And Tim Allen is just a fun guy with a passion for cars. I know Tim has racing experience for sure. Seinfield has connections with Porsche and Jay well that guy is insane when it comes to cars. Just thought I would elaborate on my choices.

Big disappointment, but then this show has big shoes to fill. I thought the challenge with the Viper and the helicopter was stupid (and not in a good way) and the Lambos should have raced head to head all three at the same time. Hopefully they'll get their **** together as the season progresses.

Yeah, Leno and Allen would be great at this. I could do without Seinfeld, though. I would LOVE to know what Clarkson, Hammond and May think of the show. They're probably still laughing at how lame it was.

Not to jack the thread but... has anyone seen the new Gran Turismo? It's supposed to have the British Top Gear test track as one of the available venues :cheers:.

Pretty lame. Who are the hosts? I didnt know either but you could go find out at history.com if you want, they kept posting that on the bottom of the screen. All I have to say is that it was exceptionally boring and BBCs Top Gear is much more entertaining. I will give them a season to figure it out and then its bye bye.

hopefully History (and apparently the BBC, they're credited at the end) sort this show out within a season or two or drags the whole thing out behind the wood-shed and puts it the show out of her misery with a 12 gauge!

I second the jokes about the brits, they're driving foreign cars, make fun of it.

Biggest dissapointment of the episode, pointing out the clear plastic engine cover and NOT poking fun at it... I started to chuckle at that point WAITING on a joke... Whenever the REAL top gear guys are driving around, it's just entertaining. If I wanted to watch someone just driving around and being boring, I'll get in the backseat next time the wife wants to drive somewhere

Did they even do any familliar segments, like "star in a reasonably priced car"?

I think that BBC(show rights) and Insurance adjusters(liability) dictate most of what the hosts can and CAN'T do, so it may remain lame. Tanner can stay but the other two dingle berries need to go... And +1 for some AMERICAN cars...

-
Back