New Trans, lost reverse...

-
"I am not however, an early model transmission tech,"

How many times have I heard "I can't" on here, ether it be body work, suspension or transmission voodoo. I rebuild my whole damn car from the ground up, everything, because I said "I can". All the skills followed. Well, telling yourself "you can't" is what keeps you from progressing out of your little box. Excuses and reasons. Excuses and reasons.

You've got no idea how easy ALL these old school transmissions are to deal with do you?

They aren't another VAG-COM German over-engineered hit, that's for damn sure. Give it a shot, you might just enjoy it.

I completely agree PoisonDart. I've built many cars from the ground up too, minus the paint jobs/upholstery that I don't care to learn how to paint/upholster, and instead take it to a painter/upholsterer :cheese:, So if I wanted to, sure I could get into it and learn, and I appreciate the GREAT tips I got on here and I would definitely do it myself if I had to, but my want has changed. I'm not so much telling myself I can't, it's more that I don't want to. If a guy wanted to, awesome, more power to him. I already called Huges and they said rather than buying a new one, they'd go through the one I have, for what they said would a lot cheaper than a new tranny. OK cool, works for me, in this particular situation. Nothing wrong if a guy wants to send his grille out to be restored vs doing it himself, having a cage installed rather than doing it himself, taking his seats to an upholstery shop vs making his own seat covers, or installing repop covers, sending a car to a body shop vs learning to paint it yourself and so on. Hell, I didn't know anything about mini-tubbing my chevy before I did it, but I did it anyway. Did every guy in the TCI trans thread fix theirs themselves? I just didn't get the knock earlier for not doing it myself. Might not be ideal for everyone, but I can't imagine some of the responses someone would get if they didn't have the means or knowhow to do their own work. Just took me by surprise, since this is the first time I've seen that type of reaction to someone on a domestic car forum. I have to talk to a lot of transmission guys too, and my Lord just because they work on transmissions that most certainly doesn't give them the ability to knock anyone else for this or that. I'll zip my keyboard for now/end meltdown, and hopefully won't have to come crawling back to this thread about the same problem so y'all can say you told me so. :axe: :D

Hope it goes well, and doesn't cost a fortune. Next time, you would have had better luck building the damn 904 yourself, super easy!!!! :violent1:

I just think Fishy's comment was a low blow out of left field, as if he fixes his his dishwasher, fridge, plumbing, medical problems, any and every fixable problem he's ever come across. It just stunned me a bit since every other person I've seen on here has been overwhelmingly cool, not that he isn't, just an off response.

I apologize if I offended you. You took my post completely wrong. That's the problem with the internet, can't get emotions across. If we would have speaking in person and I said it just like I wrote it you'd know by the tone of my voice I didn't mean anything mean/rude. All I meant is if you have practically any mechanical ability at all you would most likely spend far less time repairing the trans you have than ordering a new one from someone else. In fact it's a good possibility you could have fixed it in the car in less than the time it took you to remove it. We've had numerous members here that have never been into any type of a trans rebuild them and they worked fine. Their that simple. Absolutely the simplest auto trans made IMO

BTW: I do attempt to fix each of my appliances (even TV's) when they croak. Call me cheap but nothing that breaks here gets tossed unless it's worth less than $15 or $20, LOL

Good luck with your project :supz:

The video says it all and how easy it is.. If he wants to pull the trans let him... you could have it fixed in the time it takes to get the shield and the converter bolts out... Not dis ing anyone some people just don't want to touch transmissions like they are afraid and are so difficult but it is just nuts and bolts and having a good mechanical aptitude...Bill

Completely understand fishy, I for sure took it WAY wrong and ran from there in my head lol. We're all Mopar brothers, and my Barracuda wouldn't get anywhere without everyone's help on here! \\:D/

I'm one of those guys he's talking about , I bang nails for a living but after a bad 727 from a lifetime pro king of mopar guy trans builder , I figured if the guys who built my car the first time had a grade 6 education I could figure out how to do a trans , thankfully I had guys like Trailbeast , Fishy and OldKimmer to coach me in the setup but I bought the race parts, a 10 inch converter, built it myself and this thing has been cross country twice behind 520+hp so I am sure you will kick yourself once you open it and pull the valve body . Ain't nothin to it but to do it .

Hughes will fix you up, good move. And they just won a new customer.
At the drags,this guy that had spent a ton of money on a trans. (too much really) lost his new trans on the 2nd pass. The guy that built it was there,he just blew him off. He was building the car, the trans was a year old, but never ran. He just said the warranty is past, and walked away.He was really bummed.
My friend that does tranny's was racing too, but took the time to go look, and sugest a couple of things. It didn't work, but the guy brought it to him to get fixed.It was put together all wrong, because the guy was a Ford guy, didn't know 727's.My buddy fixed him up, didn't charge him much, and has gotten several jobs because of the guy.

Completely understand fishy, I for sure took it WAY wrong and ran from there in my head lol. We're all Mopar brothers, and my Barracuda wouldn't get anywhere without everyone's help on here! \\:D/

I was doing my best not to say anything and wait for Tracy, but I really wanted to tell you he didn't mean it the way you took it.
I have never personally read anything he has ever posted that was rude or condecending, no matter how the poster sounded about it.

I hope they get you straightened out and happy.

People forget about the flag hours,a modern tech does for survival. Sometimes,you don't want to diagnose on your time off.....

Yeah I COMPLETELY mistook what Tracy was saying. After he replied i was like...

[ame]http://youtu.be/dvmFmlN0_TQ[/ame]

I am a retired RV tech, I hate working on crap, I hate flagging. I got all the tools too.When I go to the drags, I try to have it all in order, so I don't have to turn wrenches. If I break, I load er' up and go home.I have pulled my share of tranny's in the pits, with gear oil running down my arms to put a new clutch in.Broken diff's too.
I totally understand why you didn't want to hassle it.
I went to my tranny guy one time to learn how to do my own tranny's. My eye's glazed over. Sure I can do it, but why, I have him.
A slab of stubbies and he is fine.I don't get greasy. Not to take anything away from you guys that do your own, I admire you.
There are some really good people on here.And they are pride less! I like that.Your response was cool to novacuda after you miss understood Tracy's vibe.You could have got your panties in a wade, he was cool too, when he realized he was mis-understood.
O.K. enough soft and mushiness, get your car fixed! LOL

No problem bud. I am one that often forgets how it was when I was doing this full time, hated to work on things on my time off.

Hope you get it figured out and burning rubber soon :burnout:

-
Back