new type of Demon

-
I frickin DETEST the F1/ 4 whanger/ fartcan/ turbo/ 2 stroke/ McCulloch chainsaw sound.

This isn't news. It's already been done, @prrc did this with an early A and he's not the only one. Compared to a /6 it's a massive upgrade. A ton of work though for a non-V8 conversion, basically all the work of doing a Gen III hemi swap but without as much aftermarket support for the conversion.

The 2.4L SRT-4 turbo engines would put out 300+ hp with just some minor changes- larger throttle body, some injector mapping, etc. There was a "stage 3" mod package for them with a larger turbo that would go close to 400hp with all stock internals. Guys have built those engines to put out 500+ hp. I had an '04 SRT4 that had a throttle body, ECU and exhaust upgrades that was probably close to 300 hp. And it would still get 28 mpg on the freeway. Was a super fun little car but I just couldn't get over the FWD thing.

Leaves all kinds of room on the engine bay. There's a jeep bellhousing that bolts right up to the 2.4L and allows for an MA-5 or R154 manual transmission. It's a solid engine for upgrades.

prrc's epic build thread Pro Touring 10K

20170331_173643-jpg.jpg

20170325_145544-jpg.jpg

Back in the early 90's I wanted to put a 2.2 turbo with a Dakota bell housing in a 65 Barracuda.

Yes I have to agree, I thought about that combination in an a body before but in my opinion just a nice built 340 400 horse with 400 foot pounds of torque normally aspirated is a much better match.. and the sound well that goes without saying.

At least it'd sound decent, stock bottom end with just rod bolts have made 500-550. There are adapters to run a small block trans behind them or TH350s plus a few manual trans options.

My son just built a 1000 HP 4 cylinder. He is doing another honda Dart block in the shop. I myself always like the Omni GLHS's. Then I got a ride in a Spirit R/T. Holy **** did that thing pull like nothing I have never felt with 5 people in the car . It torched the tires though third gear. Way faster then most all built 340 cars I was in.

Myself I always wanted to put a cummins 4BT in a small car. Economy running on home heating oil and torque you couldn't imagine. There is one in the shop right now being built for a street rod .

100_0146.JPG

I can definitely why someone would want to do it. I imagine a really hot 4 banger would be great for someone who wants are car to handle better. It should help balance the car a little better front to rear along with lighter weight. Not really a 4 cylinder guy but I would go for it before building a /6.

Who doesnt like 24mpg and 300HP in an A-body nowadays? Imagine that Spirit R/T in rear wheel drive with some bite on the rear suspension? A-bodies are lighter than those 80's cars too.

I’d love to see a 65 valiant convertible with a tweaked SRT engine/drivetrain combo plunked down in the rear seat driving the rear wheels with all the necessary stiffening and suspension mods looking factory stock except for fat wheels/tires. Imagine all the Camaros and Mustangs you would surprise.

I wanted to put that turbo bump on the hood, too.

Maybe even silver with blue "Shelby" stripes.

I’d love to see a 65 valiant convertible with a tweaked SRT engine/drivetrain combo plunked down in the rear seat driving the rear wheels with all the necessary stiffening and suspension mods looking factory stock except for fat wheels/tires. Imagine all the Camaros and Mustangs you would surprise.
or a '64-'66 big window Barracuda with the SRT-4 engine/transaxle in the back (like a Hemi Under Glass) wouldn't that be fun & different !

-
Back