New Vintage Gauges

-

GaryS

Reaction score
I'm about to spend several hundred dollars for a complete set of custom gauges from New Vintage, but before I do, I would like to hear from anyone who has purchased from them, or has personally seen their product.

The less than stellar reputation of some aftermarket gauge manufacturers, and glut of crappy parts from China makes me hesitate to order anything, but this company's responses to my emails have been quick, friendly and informative, and the gauges are beautiful. They advertise that the gauges are made in Michigan, but nothing is said about the meter movements. I'm guessing they are only assembled in the USA from parts made everywhere in the world.

Any and all comments welcome.

Why don't you ask New Vintage? I've spoken with them several times and was real close to pulling the trigger and having them build me a set of custom gauges. When you say custom, are you referring to having them design a set specific for your build? If so, you've probably spoken with Mark and he should have answered all your questions. Call them, they are great to speak with and have every single option you can imagine. Their products are great as well, designed and built in Michigan. The only reason I didn't order them is because I'm using LCD's screens for my gauge display. Otherwise I would already have a set in boxes on the shelf. I've spoken with Mark many times, call him or send him an email.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll send my order in tomorrow and give them a shot. If all works well, I'll do an article on a stock appearing custom gauge installation.

Wow. Those gauges look good. Reasonable price too. I've just put em on my wish list.

I was going to order a set of the 3-1 gauges, but I haven't figured out how to get them into the dash (yet!) without cutting it. Love the fact that they come with indicators built in (high beam, turn signals, even check engine, etc.) so I didn't have to add any lights to the panel I wanted to build. As a bonus, you could get one with a Mopar compatible fuel gauge.

Have to second that emails are quick, and helpful. Really wish my last idea hadn't fallen through.

Did you order a 3 3/8" setup, or what? Any updates?

Did you order a 3 3/8" setup, or what? Any updates?

I decided to wait until after the holidays to see if there is any money left over after Christmas presents, property taxes and estimated income taxes, but I am going to buy and install them before it's convertible weather again.

I did come up with a method to mount them so they will look almost stock. I also got LEDs to replace the bulbs in the dash indicator lights and they are already mounted on the modified bracket that will hold the gauges. All I need is the gauges, and they quoted three weeks since I will have a couple of them custom built.

The electronic speedometer will be 4-3/8" dia and read 120 mph, instead of the stock 110. The tach, and all others, will be 2-1/16".

I did come up with a method to mount them so they will look almost stock. I also got LEDs to replace the bulbs in the dash indicator lights and they are already mounted on the modified bracket that will hold the gauges. All I need is the gauges, and they quoted three weeks since I will have a couple of them custom built.

The electronic speedometer will be 4-3/8" dia and read 120 mph, instead of the stock 110. The tach, and all others, will be 2-1/16".

Any pictures? are you going to have to cut the dash to get the 4 3/8" guage to fit?

The 3-1 gauges I want to use are 4 3/8" also, but so far I haven't found a way to get them mounted without having to cut my dash. As best I can tell, they are just a little too big (bezel is 4 3/4").

Sure like to see what you have planned.

No pictures yet. I'll take some when I begin mounting the gauges.

I won't have to cut the dash. I had an extra '64 Valiant instrument cluster and all I had to do was cut out the back of the plate that currently mounts all the gauges and indicator lights.

The printed circuit board goes away, as does the clear lens that's fastened to the back of the bezel. The new gauges have a curved lens, so it will look slightly different than stock, but the diameter is nearly perfect. I'll have to trim the bezel in a couple of places, but not much, and it won't be obvious.

Are you putting the gauges in the '74 duster? If so, you will probably have to design a custom bezel.

It's an old thread, but I promised to post pictures after I got the gauges mounted in the stock bezel. I might have posted this one somewhere else on this forum, and if so, I apologize, but if not here it is with the New Vintage gauges. The speedometer is a custom face, but the others are stock from their catalog.

That's awesome. Curious, how much for the deal? They look almost original.

I forget the exact price, but it was between $600-$650 with the modified speedometer. I think the speedometer mods were around $150.

I removed the stock one-piece lens and removed enough material from the back of the bezel so the new gauges would seat properly...and then had the bezel re-plated to the tune of $160.

-
Back