New W2 heads/ March 1979 Popular Hot Rodding

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
86FB1CA2-C593-4837-BFC7-3FC49B59C246.jpeg
Found this mag on eBay and bought it. Pages of W2 info.

Says that tunnel ram is the prototype of the Pro Dominator

Cool, I'm still running a set of these on one of my 360 engines on the street. Runs great too :) But the rocker set up is expensive!

I picked up an old set of DC econo-W2's with rocker arms last year. Just wanted them for a street motor. Needed a couple of replacement rocker arms. They can be pricey when you add them all up. Yikes.

The local Chrysler here in Lincoln got 3 sets of them in whenever they came out. Two of my friends each bought a set. The one friend's foster kids stole his and must have sold thinking they were Chevy heads. The other friend moved to Louisiana and I lost track of him. Many years later I got his phone number from another friend. I knew he sold the car that he was going to put them on. I asked him if he had the W2's yet, he did and I bought them on the spot.
I've slowly been collecting the stuff I need to use them, but have a long ways to go. Might just sell them one of these days.

And all with stock length valves. smdh.

They are the 810 castings with the milled off rocker stands. I always assumed long valve. I have most of the old Direct connection books when they were first available. If I remember right they came 3 different ways.

I picked up a set of '77 810 casting w2 econo's last year. Heads, rocker set, intake. A few of the rockers need reconditioned. I think these are long valve versions econo's. I took a pair of valves out and they were longer than stock 340. Had I known this, I probably would have passed on them. My understanding now, is that they made long and short valve versions of both econo's and race heads.

I picked up a set of '77 810 casting w2 econo's last year. Heads, rocker set, intake. A few of the rockers need reconditioned. I think these are long valve versions econo's. I took a pair of valves out and they were longer than stock 340. Had I known this, I probably would have passed on them. My understanding now, is that they made long and short valve versions of both econo's and race heads.

Why pass on the long valve? You can actually put a spring on those that can do something.

Well, just for a street motor. Was thinking of selling them. Manly SS valves, big block sized springs, etc. I picked up a set of fresh x heads and 340, so probably won't need them.

A few more pages
I ran W2 heads for years in three different S/B combos with the ductile iron rockers and never had a single problem replaced one adjuster screw in over twenty years. I got them when I bought a complete 627 lift roller cammed, 12 1/2 to 1 comp. 340 for $2500 many years ago. I went a best of 10.40 with them in my last combo 30 over 360 crate short block, 590 lift but mech.cam, 11 1/2 to 1 comp. we always knew it would run low 10s with a roller cam but I never did as I slowed the car for a different class. I still have the motor still ran great with still good oil pressure and valve springs since I went to my 408 I m debating what to do with it.

IMG_0021.PNG

I ran W2 heads for years in three different S/B combos with the ductile iron rockers and never had a single problem replaced one adjuster screw in over twenty years. I got them when I bought a complete 627 lift roller cammed, 12 1/2 to 1 comp. 340 for $2500 many years ago. I went a best of 10.40 with them in my last combo 30 over 360 crate short block, 590 lift but mech.cam, 11 1/2 to 1 comp. we always knew it would run low 10s with a roller cam but I never did as I slowed the car for a different class. I still have the motor still ran great with still good oil pressure and valve springs since I went to my 408 I m debating what to do with it.

View attachment 1715175405
That w2 sounds like a motor that was for sale in the Bronx I think ???? ..... but someone beat me to it . Nice Dart btw !

That w2 sounds like a motor that was for sale in the Bronx I think ???? ..... but someone beat me to it . Nice Dart btw !
Bought it from Skip Carpenter he had a used car lot in Dover N.J and lived in Landing ( Lake Hopatcong) N.J. He was a very good bracket racer in his day he moved to Florida and passed away a number of years ago

-
Back