New yoke

-

68 wanna b GSS

68 Dart 440
Reaction score
If you were at a point in a build where your starting fresh your about to place in a new rear sure grip 8.3/4 and your choices are 7260 or 7290 and 5x4 or 5x4.5 what would you pick and why based on the install of a rb 440

Last edited:
Go with the 1350 yoke instead of the smaller joints for the third member & the 5 x 4 1/2 bolt circle. With the big bolt circle, you have a better selection of wheels. For the reason you stated, BBM install at a later date.

Go with the 1350 yoke instead of the smaller joints for the third member & the 5 x 4 1/2 bolt circle. With the big bolt circle, you have a better selection of wheels. For the reason you stated, BBM install at a later date.
Agreed unfortunately there were only the two options

There are many manufacturers that offer a 10 spline yoke for the 742 & 489 8 3/4 third members. I had a cast yoke & a billet yoke that I sold recently. We used these type yokes on our stock eliminator Dakota. I sold these that we had as spares after my partner bought me out & gave the truck to his grandson.

Oh I know there are many on the market to choose from I was just given these choices from a guy that was building me a new sure grip 8 3/4 I also figured that bigger was better for durability I just wanted to make sure there wasn't someone that was going to say out there that all the corresponding parts for one as opposed to the other weren't available like you would like to see I wasn't familiar with the parts so I wanted to make sure that on down the line I was going to have an issue with one more than the other as far as like matching parts for the completion of the build

I have for years used 7290 yokes. Never broke one. 4 1/2” on the wheels. As mentioned, more wheel choices.

If your front is 5 on 4 and the rear is 5 on 4.5; just carry a spare for the front and an adapter for the rear.

I kept 5x4 just because it would of mean swapping out my 4 pot fronts or getting the ford.mustang rotor machined which was all extra work.

Besides I already have the wheels I wanted

Seemed like a lot of extra money for something I didn't really need

-
Back