Newb Question RE: intake/Head hole..

-

Pateras

Reaction score
I tried searching this, as i know its covered somewhere here, but i couldn't come up with anything. I installing my 383 Torker intake, and i see (what seems to me anyway,) the coolant cavity isn't covered by the intake, like its going to spew water all over the place. My cursory search showed these RB's the same way. Can someone please inform me what/why these holes are there? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1749.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5926.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 122
This question comes up very often. Not to worry. "It's made that way." The half moon outer part is a dead end cavity

It is simply the way the head was cast, and evidently is for heat expansion, or maybe just to save weight. The actual crossover port for the exhaust is a smaller port down further in the middle

The top head has the head crossover, the lower head does not

ccrp_0711_08_z%2B1964_mopar%2B1964_stage_3_max_wedge_518_casting.jpg

as said...heat crossover....does not need to be covered up by intake or gasket...

I knew the topic was mulled over more than times than Coke vs. Pepsi, just couldn't locate it. Thank you guys so much for taking the time, I'll move ahead with the install and will post some picks in a day or so. MOPAR!!
Jeff

They actually cast that there to lose little carburetor clips and such in. Goodbye forever.

Yes. that's part of the heat crossover and does not need to be covered as it is dry.

This question comes up very often. Not to worry. "It's made that way." The half moon outer part is a dead end cavity

It is simply the way the head was cast, and evidently is for heat expansion, or maybe just to save weight. The actual crossover port for the exhaust is a smaller port down further in the middle

The top head has the head crossover, the lower head does not

ccrp_0711_08_z%2B1964_mopar%2B1964_stage_3_max_wedge_518_casting.jpg

Yes. if you DO find a head like the one in the bottom picture at a good price - jump on it! They are special racing heads. Notice the size of the ports compared to the one above it... :cheers:

open casting lessens heat soak in head from hot exhaust running through there. LA has same dealio.

-
Back