Newbee 1965 barracuda

-

piperdrums

Reaction score
I just purchased a 65 Barracuda V8, when in sits for more than a few days I have to use starting fluid to get if going. Seems like it takes a while for the manual fuel pump to get the fuel to the carb. Is this normal?

Same for me - I've heard the newer 'EPA approved' gasoline formulations evaporate faster than the gas from when these cars were built.

I have found, however, that i only need to user starter fluid if the fuel in the filter is evaporated (a couple of weeks). Otherwise, I pump about 15-20 times, then floor it and start it (figuring it should be flooded by then)...usually starts, if not, pump a few more times and try it again.

Good luck!

Just to be sure, check your fuel line from the pump to the carb for any leaks/wetness.

There was a recent post about a carb going dry and it turned out that there was a leak on one of the hoses for the fuel filter.

check the 4 inch rubber tubing from the gas tank pick-upto the line they are 50years over and many times over looked and rotted ,so it takes 1/4 gallon of primer to get any thing running to the hose because the huge vacuum leak , or no sucktion seen it a lot working with nothing but 64/65 barracuda"s if you ever need parts write my number down 1 608 837 4427 I have a lot of parts and a lot of connections . hope I could help Jon

Thanks Winston. I have checked and replaced the fuel pump filters as well as had the carb rebuilt. I did find a station selling non-ethanol fuel and added 4 gallons, but the battery had died from sitting. Hopefully Monday I can try and see if that helps. Mine is on stands so I may as well repalce the fuel line at the rear as you suggested.

Do you have to drop the tank to replace the rubber tubing, or can you get to it without?

My take.... Once you go through the fuel lines, filters and do a complete check of the alternating system, change the battery and add what's needed for a car which may not have been tken care of to the max, you'll find it to start every time. Be good to your car and you car will be good to you :)

Here is what I will tell you about my 65 Barracuda, I pump the gas pedal two times and then turn the key and most every time she starts like a good car should! If she sits for a long time I may need to pump it a little more or once and a while need to splash some starter fluid to get her going, but not very often. When the weather is warm and she is running often, like right now almost every weekend to a show or just cruising, she is consistent as any car on the road. It is a small four barrel carb and is regular in its operation for me. Once and a while I do need to adjust it for idle, but not much else. It does have mopar electronic ignition kit, which I believe helps a lot and keeps things consistent. I run on regular gas most of the time and put super in there once and awhile for a little kick start. It so far has not let me down ever, only once when the ignition kit box went out and now I keep an extra one handy in the trunk just in case.

65Cudalover

I agrre it should, but the filter is dry. Rebuilt carb, new fuel pump, and considering installing an electric one. If I disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump, no gas runs out of it.

look at condition of tank? old and full of rust? pickup at tabk? old and full of rust? filter on it? and good? tank to pump? old and full of rust
old fart story: had a slant duster, drove it everywhere, sold it to YOUNG mechanic friend. saw him couple months later, he was cussing the duster, he had replaced the tank with 3 difference (used) ones. then he found there was a dead bug in the TANK TO FUEL PUMP LINE! bug would get caught on the curved part every so ofter!! LOL

tank was removed and cleaned before I bought it from a member here. I will take each section off monday and see what I find. It hasn't been started in a couple of months and when I tried last week it wouldn't start and I noticed the filter is dry. It seems the gas isn't leaving the tank, so I will clean the lines starting there working forward. At the start of this post someone said the hose leaving the tank was a problem to check, so I'll start there. The car is on stands as I am still replacing brake lines. Thanks so much for the advice. I have more old fart stories than we have time for.

replace the short pieces of fuel hose at tank and fuel pump for sure. remember if the hard fuel line from tank is originasl or old, its only 5/16 in to begin with and when it rusts inside ( and it does) the diameter is lot less causing smaller diameter and taking awhile to get gas to filter.
in a perfect world, we would just replace everything questionable with new , being some of that stuff is 40-50 yrs old! but if your like me, its not in my budget!!?
as Stonewll Jackson said, " perservere" , right before one of his own guys shot him in the head!!?????

I'm over 60 and think i needs lots of parts replaced as well. So that is a valid point to replace the hoses and such to begin with. I will disconnect the lines and blow out the hard lines and replace the rubber ones on Monday. Thanks again and have a wonderful day. I told my wife if she could go back to work and I could retire this wouldn't take me so long.

-
Back