newbee here need oil help

-

silver fox

Reaction score
My son & I picked a barn find 73 340 duster. the car was built for the strip & speed back in it's time, example 489 rear end with 488 gear's (changed to 323) 7msd box 8000 chip with strip only coil high rise manifold 750 holly, reverse valve trans. plus much more first thing we did was to get it started when we got it home it ran great so we changed the oil to 10w 30 since then we have had the car redone not much to do but the cosmetic's body paint ect have not driven it much but the odd drive down the road just to hear it run & see how much power it had holy **** it goes .now to my ? I'm not a motor guy I read a thread that mentioned zink level's in oil now that the car is ready to drive what oil should I be running in this high performance motor. please don't ask for spec's on motor I really don't know at this time but from what else I see on this car it was built for speed I would hate to destroy it till I know thank's

I use shell 15w40 and add a part bottle of Lucas break in oil(high zinc content). Also I would stay away from Fram filters...Dad went and bought a case of Mopar filters.

Shell Diesel 15w40 is great but remember it is a diesel oil with alot of cleaners and less zinc.. I believe down to 800 now... So like 4spdragtop said use the extra zinc additive and you have a good setup for oil

I run 15w40 Royal Purple with my flat tappet motor.

Brad Penn green oil is a favourite on this board. Use it exclusively on my street/ strip cars.

It depends on how often you are driving the car. A good name brand 10w30 is fine just add some zinc to it like mentioned above. I would say the filter is as important if not more than the oil. You can use a Wix or just buy a NAPA gold as it is a Wix in a NAPA box for less money.

I am curious what is a strip only coil?

I run the blaster 3 with msd and have on about every pro street car I have had.. Never had an issue with a coil unless I was using a stock one with msd..

Valvoline VR1 off-road racing oil has plenty of zinc off the shelf. Make sure it's the off-road variant though. Or just chose your favorite off the shelf oil and a zinc additive will work as well. I use VR1 off-road racing oil in 20w50 and change it every 3k miles. For a Filter use napa gold or wix as others have stated.....

-
Back