Newbie, Clutch issues

-

JRapley

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm basically a newbie to working on transmissions/clutches, so I'm in need of some help diagnosing a noise I'm getting.

As far as I know it's a stock a833 4-speed, Hurst shifter, in a 69 Dart with a 340.

The issue I'm having is what sounds like a 'whirring/rubbing' noise. Not really grinding or anything. It started a couple months ago, pretty quite from inside the car, but now it's getting a little worse & noisier.

While sitting with the shifter in neutral and the clutch pedal out I'll hear the whirring/rubbing noise. The car doesn't seem to want to move forward or anything. As soon as I push the clutch pedal in the noise will go away.

I have a bit of free play at the top of the clutch pedal, and then the clutch engages and disengages quite well when shifting through the gears. None of the gears seem difficult to get into or out of either.

Any suggestions? Is there some sort of adjustment I can make internally to the clutch/flywheel assembly to re-set a gap or something?

Thanks in advance!

seems like the throwout bearing is making noise and gradually getting worse

it might be going out but its hard to say how long it can last....no adjustment just have to replace it when your sick of listening to it.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I'll have to get under the car tomorrow to give the linkages and spring a looking at, just to see if anything looks obviously wrong.

My clutch pedal is returning all the way up, it pretty much springs back up into place.

Sounds like the throwout bearing to me.

If you have to replace it go ahead and stick a new clutch in it since you are there.

And check the flywheel for cracks or if it needs resurfacing.

A lot easier to do it now then have to pull it back apart again later .

And might as well replace the u-joints while they are out to and change the oil in the tranny to.

-
Back