Newbie from the Old Dominion

-

mrichard

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought a base 72 Dart and it ships tomorrow. I love the simplicity of this car, and it's a survivor, only 39,000 miles. Anyone have some tips on what to look for first on these cars? I am a classic car nut. Have owned at various times a 73 BMW 2002tii, 70 Mercedes Benz 280SE, 1967 Thunderbird, and am having a 76 International Scout restored. I plan to daily drive this one, so please let me know what I should do first on it. Previous owner replaced brakes, master cylinder, tires, rebuilt the carb, new gas tank and lines. Thanks for the help. Also, any clubs in VA/DC?

Mark

dart8.jpg

Dart3.jpg

dart16.jpg

Nice find. First thing I would do is drive and enjoy! There are plenty of clubs around Dc/Va. Where do you live? Welcome to FABO

I'm in Ashburn, just outside of Dulles airport. Good to hear there are clubs out here!

Hey Dude I Was Raised Just Outside Manassas In Gainesville When Ashburn Was Just Farms. Cool Place To Live And Lots To Do. You Need To Check Out The Car Show At Hardees On Rt.28 South Of Manassas Every Weekend Lots Of Good Rides. You Will Like A-bodies A Bunch Of Great Info At Your Finger Tips. Ask Anything Mopar And Just Set Back. Welcome To Our Site. Steve

Ha, yeah, it's definitely not farms out here anymore! Great place to live, though.

Hey all,

I just bought a base 72 Dart and it ships tomorrow. I love the simplicity of this car, and it's a survivor, only 39,000 miles. Anyone have some tips on what to look for first on these cars? I am a classic car nut. Have owned at various times a 73 BMW 2002tii, 70 Mercedes Benz 280SE, 1967 Thunderbird, and am having a 76 International Scout restored. I plan to daily drive this one, so please let me know what I should do first on it. Previous owner replaced brakes, master cylinder, tires, rebuilt the carb, new gas tank and lines. Thanks for the help. Also, any clubs in VA/DC?

Mark

Welcome Mark!
Love the 4 Doors!!!!!
Welcome to FABO!!8)

75-86.jpg

75-87.jpg

Welcome. The very first thing I purchase for any car is the service manual.
I would have to take a close look at everything, especially the brakes and such that we know has been worked on. Reason being, we dont know who did that work and if it was done correctly. Happy moparing

Hello and welcome! Nice and clean car you have there. Like was said, check the brakes, suspension, lug nuts and have fun driving it. And yes an automotive manual for that car will be helpful!

-James

Nice! I have found the same issue with seats. They don't make covers for 4 door bench seats anymore. Did you ever have anymore luck there?

OK then mrichard,
I just spent the last couple hours reading ALL your threads!
WELCOME to FABO!
Very good questions and I hope I was able to help you on some of them.

4 Doors Rule!! er... I mean Crew Cabs. LOL

Later,
Bruce B.

Nice! I have found the same issue with seats. They don't make covers for 4 door bench seats anymore. Did you ever have anymore luck there?

Well....maybe,
Year One and Legendary will make them...Just super pricey.
Quoted me $800.00 for mine as they are the "Base Model" (A2X9 = A2 - Base Style Full Bench, and X9 - Black) and now considered "Custom Order" covers! UGH!

Dunno what I am gonna do yet... That is way down the road for me right now... just bought a simple seat cover for now.

Later,
Bruce B.

Thanks for replying. Very helpful and I was wondering why all my old posts were popping up again! I appreciate it. I have this plan with the seat now - cover it inexpensively, but redo the guts per your post and also put some spacers in to help with the height and seat-back angle. I'm driving the car into work now 3 days a week and love it, but the seat is just a bit unmanageable for a 30 minute drive morning and night. Nothing like driving a classic, though, and I'm willing to live with it for the overall benefits of having classic metal moving down the road under my right foot.

Yup, guy before me actually did that. Also did new gas tank, lines, brakes, wheel bearings, carb rebuild, tune up, valve job, new tires. So it's very driveable.

Ya gotta go back to the Dog Dish's though.....
Just get a set of '72 style Redlines:
2010-04-08 70 Dart GT RL DD (Medium).JPG

The Full Covers are too Grandpa-ish even for me! (52 and a Grandpa). LOL

Later,
Bruce B.

2010-04-08 70 Dart GT RL DD (Medium).JPG

I figured I would hear that. Gotta think on that one. I like the full ones better so they will probably stay.

Hey Dude I Was Raised Just Outside Manassas In Gainesville When Ashburn Was Just Farms. Cool Place To Live And Lots To Do. You Need To Check Out The Car Show At Hardees On Rt.28 South Of Manassas Every Weekend Lots Of Good Rides. You Will Like A-bodies A Bunch Of Great Info At Your Finger Tips. Ask Anything Mopar And Just Set Back. Welcome To Our Site. Steve

You might be referring to Burger King (now). Its on Rt 28 South of Manassas by the 234 Bypass. (I work in the 4 story building behind it.)

Yes there are a few clubs for the Old Mopars. CPOC or something like that. I always forget the name. I am also a member of the DC Modern Mopar Club.

I live in Manassas. Also go to Chick Fil A on Friday night near Dulles Towncenter off of RT 28 North. Cool cars there too...Not sure if I am going tomorrow night or not.

Umm..what else? I think thats it...hit me up when it comes in. I'd love to see it!

Doug

Welcome to FABO from Powhatan, just West of Richmond, VA! :wave:

Although a little drive for you, the Tidewater Mopar Club (TMC) is a great club!
www.tidewatermoparclub.com

Don't miss Mopar Madness 2010, June 12th & 13th at Virginia Motorsports Park, near Petersburg, VA.

burg

mm2010a.jpg

mm2010b.jpg

You all know of any good mechanics you trust up here in Northern VA, particularly around Ashburn, that could do some work on my Dart? I'd like to have them do the front suspension refresh if I find someone I trust. Or atleast have them in reserve if I totally fubar it.

-
Back