Newbie horn question

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
As this is my first Mopar, I don't know what the horn should sound like. (1973 Duster)
The horn I have works, in that it has a single low-ish tone. Is it only supposed to have a single tone? Also, as I was cleaning the engine compartment, I noticed that there are two leads at the horn but only one of them is plugged to anything.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0734.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 175
Typically the 2nd horn will mount within inches of the first horn. It has to be close because the open wire (in your photo) plugs onto the horn. People on this site have horns up for sale all the time. Remember that each horn has a slightly different tone, so be sure to get the correct one.

What guys are saying here is that some of these girls only came with one horn. You need two horns for "dual tone" and they have to be "related" so the tones are complimentary, just like notes on a piano. You don't wan "dischord" LOL

Or you could change it to whatever you want. I put a road runner horn on mine....Meep Meep!

68 Dart GTS factory locations of horns

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 141
His seems to be a 73. It/ they were under the battery tray, which "might" be a poor spot, LOL

They come standard with one low-note horn, with dual horns optional. You have the rear horn, you need the front horn which bolts through the core support.

I think they are Sparton horns. One will be marked HI, the other marked LO.

You can test horns off the car to make sure you have a pair blowing the same note..I did:D

These are a set of Mopar horns:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am4bwhQTwfE"]Honk car horns inside house 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks All!
I'm going to head to the junkyard and see if I can find something useful.
Do you think I could test them using a smaller battery - it only has to be 12v, right?
Some junkyards don't allow car batteries on the premises...

By the way, Tyler - I really enjoy your videos and didn't know you were on this forum!

-
Back