Newbie looking for pistons

-

mikeyt2014

Reaction score
Getting a 69 Dart gt with the original la273 in it and I want to go through the engine and rebuild it. I'm having trouble finding pistons for it. I'd like to get some 10:1's if available to give a few more ponies. Does anyone know of any manufacturers I can get them through instead of Summit or Jegs?

Kanter and Egge make them. Do a "273 piston" search here for more info. tmm

Actually I just called Egge and found some, however does anybody know if there are any 10:1's out there for about $400

Mike. Egge's 10.5's will only get you about 9 1/4 when it's all said and done.
I got 9.6 using a thin head gasket and milling the heads. See my engine build thread. Link is below. tmm

I bet that was a bummer when you got those numbers, however did that give yo some more ponies. I may shave the head and decrease the cc chamber-thoughts on that.

I have a set of NOS Jahns, .030 over, here's some pics.

The flat top is for comparison to the dome, it's a 318 piston.

$400.00 plus shipping from zip 13827

Attachments

• DSCF0174.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCF0175.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCF0176.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCF0177.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCF0178.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 308
I bet that was a bummer when you got those numbers, however did that give yo some more ponies. I may shave the head and decrease the cc chamber-thoughts on that.
I did. It made a half point difference. The performance is still good with 9.6 and no detonation problems. The power is in the heads,exhaust and cam. I love and respect my 273 but they are what they are. They have their limitations unless you go real radical. tmm

I have a set of NOS Jahns, .030 over, here's some pics.

The flat top is for comparison to the dome, it's a 318 piston.

$400.00 plus shipping from zip 13827

Nice looking slugs J. I wish those were for sale when I was building mine. What is the comp. ratio on those? tmm

do you have a p/n for those pistons, I called Egge and they're having trouble finding them

Are the Jahns better than the Egge ones? I think toolmanmike said those Egge's were 10.5:1's. What are the Jahns?

I was told they are 11.0 to 1, they are a solid dome, you could trim to your purpose.

Are the Jahns better than the Egge ones? I think toolmanmike said those Egge's were 10.5:1's. What are the Jahns?

Are they better???? That is a very subjective assessment; to put it into perspective..."Big Daddy" Don Garlits made them (Jahns) the worlds fastest pistons; for their day, they were the CP, Weisco, etc of today.

There is a set of 8 used OEM standard bore dome pistons w/rods in a for sale ad here.
If oversize rings will work for your bores. May need to knurl their skirts. Surely some savings.

Been watching and waiting for someone to jump in and get it started. Seems someone always wants to throw in a 360 and dump the 273/318. How about putting in a 360 stroke crank and compression will take care of itself. Gotta buy high dollar pistons anyway. Maybe even a 4" crank. Come on. Let's drift away from topic :burnout:

What kinda gas are you planning to run?

I'm going to use unleaded gas, so I'll have to have the heads redone and have stellite seats installed

-
Back