newbie magnum questions

-

rastaswinger

Reaction score
allright folks i have been searching all night through posts and i am still confused so i apologize ahead of time if this has been covered. I have a 1970 dodge dart and it has a slant 6 in it and i have been looking around for a car with an engine and transmission to swap right in. i have found a bunch of cheaper mid 90;s magnum 318 vehicles jeeps/vans. to bolt it up i am assuming i still need the motor mount kit. would the transmission from a van work in my car or am i going to have to modify the floor. i know a jeep transmission wont work due to the transfercase. so can i basically just drop in the magnum with the EFI and computer with van transmission or would it be easier to do a carb set up, how does a carb set up on one of these run if so. what transmissions would work if the one out of the van would not. is there possibly a writeup on this. so many questions so confused, i appreciate any answers, thank you so much !

you can use an a518 transmission from a dodge ram/dakota but youll have to do some floor mods to get it to fit plus cutting the drivershaft. its much easier using a carb then the fuel injection computer set up. it can be done, just alot more work. im using a 96 magnum 360 with a carb and an older style 727. try searching the forum topics here or even look through bigblockdart.com, theres alot of info there too. for specifics on the a518 install, search here, i remember there being a thread within the past 2 months or so covering alot of the stuff. goodluck!

allright awesome i think im gonna get one and then find a 727, and try it with a carb setup, what do i look for when looking for an intake/carb setup who makes them. next questions is it going to affect horsepower/torque? and is there anything i have to do special for the ignition setup? what about cooling ? should i just use electric fans? thanks so much

This place has excellent swap kits; http://www.engine-swaps.com/

A carb set up runs great, just tune that carb well and you'll be fine. May not beat out the mileage of the computer, but thats the trade off sometimes. Mounting the computer is a thing of where to mount it and a easy hot wire feed to it.

Upgrade the 7-1/4 rear to an 8-1/4 read at a min.
You'll not want a 4X4 tranny. A regular trans will do. You'll need to ethier fab up a trans cross member or purchase one made for the swap. Then there a quick shortening of the driveshaft due to the longer OD trans.

-
Back