Newbie needing answers!

-

Tmac85

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm Tmac. I'm new to mopar or basically hot rodding in general. I'm looking to purchase my first project/weekender car. For reasons unknown I've fell in love with early 70s darts. Other car guys I know think I'm crazy and that I should stick with Novas and Chevelles. Anyway I found one in GA and I just want to be sure it's not too crazy over priced. Also it has the 360 V8, the owner is saying around 225 hp. What would it take to get closer to 500 out of those motors. Give me the hard truth!

1971 Dodge Dart for sale near Canton, Georgia 30114 - Autotrader Classics

Here is the hard truth. why not 600 horsepower? Shoot, I'd go for 700 horsepower! IF you don't know about cars/hot rodding in general, you have no idea what torq/horsepower it would take to make you happy. Don't just throw out numbers......
Oh, welcome from Illinois :)

Welcome to the club
I'm in North Carolina

Ok fair enough. In your expert opinion, I'd like a 12 sec street car. Can that motor produce that without forced induction or nitrous? What would it take to get it there?

welcome guy! I would suggest you start reading a lot of posts on here for a start. there is lots to learn and if you stay with this hobby the next 20 or 40 years you will still be learning!
as a hint, these HP numbers are usually bench racing figures your GM and Ford buds toss out. I say get in touch with Tidewater Mopar club down your way, make friends with some members, there, get some real world experience in one of their cars. then decide how many ponies and $$ you want to spend.
value of these cars? anything over salvage price is " salesmanship"! good pics and info posted on here will give you some arm chair appraisals.

Ok fair enough. In your expert opinion, I'd like a 12 sec street car. Can that motor produce that without forced induction or nitrous? What would it take to get it there?

12 seconds is definately doable with a 360 all motor. Do some searching on here for 408 (stroked 360). But that Dart, in my opinion is way over priced.

Thanks bud that's all I needed to know. What do you think it's actually worth?

It is hard to say. He says new suspension, but what does that mean? I would say bout $5-6k if the body is straight with no rust. The dash being modified like that is red flag for me. You just never know what gremlins you are going to find.

There was a 71 Dart posted here yesterday, but can't find the ad now. He was asking $1,700 and it looked super straight mostly stock with a slant 6. Figure take that car for $1,700 and put a nice motor and suspension setup/rear end etc and I'd bet you be in it for less than the cost of that one. Just keep looking, they are out there.

What are some areas on the body I need to look for as far as rust? I'm a welder by trade but never done body work.

What are some areas on the body I need to look for as far as rust? I'm a welder by trade but never done body work.

The frame rails, the trunk, the lower quarter panels and the cowl to start. Since it looks like the car was recently primered black, there may be some filler underneath it. If you can and the seller allows take a pen magnet and go up and down the body, if filler is in excess the magnet won't stick.

What's that? :D
Radiator hose is on backwards too, because of the water neck.

1971.jpg

12's is not all that hard for a 360. It shouldn't take a lot of money to get there either. And if you want 12's, no need to mention 500 horsepower. You can get there on 350 hp with ease in very streetable form.

-
Back