newby needs help

-

volare

Reaction score
hello i have a 1976 volare that has been in the family since it came off the line at my great grandfathers plant. i have since moved it out to vegas and have some transmission issues. im looking for some advice before going to a shop. it has started to slip and was woundering if i should just do a rebuild or up grade what should i do? it has a 318 with a three speed auto. i have done a little engine mods plus 355 in the rear. thanks james

If it is slipping it probably needs new clutches, it would be a simple rebuild. Be sure to check the obvious things like bad fluid or low fluid level before you bring it in. If you wanted to you could have a shift kit installed. Better performance and I have also heard it actually makes your tranny last longer because your clutches don't slip as much when it shifts!

I agree with 66340Sedan,check the obvious first! Seems like with the mods you want a little bit of performance and a shift kit is always a good upgrade especially if you are going to rebuild it,also I agree it is easier on the clutches of the trans. You might want to ask some of the members which is the best shift kit to go with,I am sure that some are better than others,I am going to have a trans done in a couple of months so I will be watching to see what they say about shift kits. These guys and a few Ladies on this site have a wealth of knowledge and are a great bunch of people and seem to always willing to help someone out.So you came to the right place to hang out and WELCOME ABOARD!

Bobby

Yes check the fluid level first IN NEUTRAL with the parking brake set. The reason I empasize in neutral is in the last month I have seen 2 cases where guys didn't know to check it in neutral. One toasted his trans. The other got lucky and filled it and it works fine now.

I know you didn't mention a shift kit so this is for 69340Dart. The Trans-go TF-2 shift improver kit is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned and I have been rebuilding torqueflites for over 20 yrs. The Trans-go kit addresses issues that are short comings on the torqueflite in addition to making it shift better. I've tried most brands of kits through the yrs. and no other kit compares to the Trans-go kit.

Thanks Fishy68,I wrote it down in my journal so when I get ready in a month or so I know what to get. Like I said These people on this site are extremely helpful and are just a nice bunch of people willing to help and share there knowledge.

Thanks

Bobby

-
Back