Newer Mopar engines - experiences

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Besides my 65 Dart and 65 Newport, we have a 96 Voyager 2.4L and 02 Town & Country 3.8L. I relate some experiences since some relates to A-body builders who "upgrade" their engines.

The 3.8L appears a direct descendant of my 273 SB, less 2 cylinders. It has a traditional cam w/ roller lifters (like Magnum). It stranded us on a road trip when the plastic power steering pulley failed. Auto parts list for $10, but always "not in warehouse". The shop drove 30 miles to a dealer and cost $56.

Failure was probably my fault since I cracked the pulley a bit when I beat it off the pump 6 months ago, after trying a torch (thought aluminum until I saw the surface bubbling). I first tried a pulley puller but just broke off the plastic grooves. I reused the pulley since, as you guess, nobody had it. Fun removing the pump on a sideways engine when you can barely get 2 fingers on the bolts and keep dropping things.

I can manage w/o power steering, but the serpentine belt drives everything. I got 10 miles to San Clemente by tying a nylon rope around the other pulleys, but apparently the alternator slipped too much. The battery runs down amazingly fast in new cars (fuel pump, injectors, etc). My Dart can run all day on a full battery. Interesting things happen at 7.5 V. As I rolled to a stop, the anti-lock brakes pulsed on their own, the electronic transmission selector went crazy, and the wipers came on and off. I see people retrofitting serpentine belts on classic engines. Perhaps a bad idea.

Cost $330 w/ towing (would have bought nice things for my Dart), but I now face a bigger problem. The strange metallic rattles I heard last winter when cold appears to be a cracked flexplate, which is common. The "toner ring" is welded to it, with slots for the crank sensor. When it or the flexplate cracks get big enough, the crank sensor starts missing. It used to stumble a bit at idle, now does so on the highway when accelerating. Interesting thing is no matter how bad it misses, it sets no codes. Removing a front drive tranny is @**!.

I think Magnum engines are similar. My engine has 156K, which is beyond the fatigue life other people have experienced. The Hemi engine has a different crank pickup. I read it has a "toner ring" integral to the crankshaft. Many truck owners who "upgraded" to under-drive pulleys have quickly experienced toner ring failure. Vibrational resonance is suspected. Is that why Chrysler engineers termed it "toner" (joke). I read there is a better Hemi crank that shatters toner rings less often. Speaking of cracks, if you go to a Magnum engine or heads, they regularly crack between the intake and exhaust valves since Chysler induction hardened the metal around the seats (not hardened inserts).

The 2.4L engine is a more modern design with DOHC. The power steering pulley uses a separate belt (yeah) and the water pump drives off the timing belt. Still, without the alternator I found you won't get far down the road. The original head gasket design was bad - it leaked oil to the outside, starting at 39K in mine (just after 36K warranty), but the new MLS design fixes that. While a rubber timing belt seems unreliable, it broke twice, not from the belt, but the timing idler bearing (~40K) and tensioner bearing (~130K). They have 4 tensioner designs over the years and you must pull it apart to see which you have. It missed at WOT until I lowered the spark gap from 0.060" to 0.050", as Chrysler recommends for the PT Cruiser turbo (higher cylinder pressure = harder to spark), so the ignition system probably weakens over time. Same trick didn't work on my 3.8L. Amazingly, the tiny bicycle-type chain that drives the 2 balance shafts underneath the crankshaft hasn't broken yet at 160K. I think my 3.8L has a similar setup. Also, the 3-spd tranny wouldn't reverse, which turned out to be the rubber seal on a piston. It looks just like the 904/727 inside, other than the differential add-on and maybe cheaper parts.

I try to carry enough parts to avoid getting stuck far from home, since that can be expensive and puts you at other's mercy. I can fix most anything in my garage. I have only required a tow 3 times in 35 years. I once got my 69 Dart down the road after a wheel bearing failure using a big washer I found on the side. I carry points to swap in if my electron ignitions fail, a carb to swap for my Holley Projection, and a timing set for my 2.4L. If I only had that stupid pulley (ordered one). If my wife would just agree to using the Newport or Dart for trips we would be set.

It is hard to know what you are getting into when you lay down big money in a showroom. Nobody knows for sure what surprises await at >100K during the first years of a new engine, but I wish Chrysler had cared more about >36K miles when they designed mine. Anyway, study much before you upgrade your A body and make sure not a downgrade.

the 2.7 v6 is another to add to the do not buy list they are prone to oil sludging more so then most and they have a weak oil pump, some people love them, some hate them, I am one that hates them

I have owned several 3.3 & 3.8 v6 mini-vans, great engines. The only issue with any of them were the water pumps. Good thing the are easy to replace.
5.2 & 5.9 Magnums, I have had a few of these. Good power & dependable. I have replaced the plemun gasket on the wifes Durango 5.2 & the sons Grand Cherokee 5.9. It wasn't a big job on either one.
5.7 HEMI, what can I say, Fantastic. Very good on power, good fuel milage w/cylinder deactivation, 24mpg R/T Magnum. I currently have two of them, the other one in my sons Dodge Ram 128K. No concerns with either one.
5.9 Cummins, the tow haul king. Great fuel milage & Towing, mine has a 111k on it.
Engines I wouldn't buy again;
3.0 V6, these things are okay until the valve guides move., then its smoke city.

3.8s are great engines all in all, my only gripe is that if there was 1/2" more room between the framerail and the pulley I wouldn't have had to jack up the front and drop the splashshield to swap the serpentine lol..

Grant

All in All modern (Mid 80s + designs) mopar engines are an order of magnitude more reliable and longer lasting than the older stuff.

My first FWD mopar was an 85 turbo Daytona I bought new. I put 220,000 miles on that car and my son another 25,000 (he totaled it). Replaced a head gasket at 50K (was still under warranty but is was $20 for the gasket to do it my self verse $100 deductable at the dealer). Timing belts were swapped at 90K, 170K and again at 220 before I gave it to my son. No other internal engine or turbo issues.

This car was replaced with an 89 Shelby Daytona in 92 (car had a little over 20k when I got it). Sold it in 03 with just shy of 180k miles when I want to thin out the herd but wished I still had it. Replaced head gasket around 150k with timing belts at 90k and 150k. Only other issue was I ran over something and dented the oil pan around 130k. Took it off to knock the dent out and figured i would treat the car to a new oil pump. Didn't notice that there was an edge that kept the new Melling unit from sitting flat and it resulted in the intermediate shaft gear being wiped (should folowed the don't fix it if it ain't broke rule).

89 Dakota 4x4 3.9l v6 / A500. Sold this as part of the herd thinning in 03 with 256k miles and never had a lick of a problem with the engine or tranny. Was starting to rust badly when sold but it did spend a lot of time on the beach.

97 Avenger 2.5 Mitsubishi v6 and mopar auto. Stone reliable car, just not enough power to be entertaining. It was my wifes and she wanted a PT so I kept for my self but sold it in 03 with 130k miles as part of the thining of the herd.

99 Dakota 4x4 3.9 magnum / 44RE auto. This replaced the 89 Dakota in 03 and had 60k when I got it. It currently has 180k miles and I have had to replace a speed sensor on the axle and the govenor pressure solenoid in the tranny (would stick from time to time causing the truck to start in second gear). Other than those two items and a brake line that chaffed through it has been stone reliable.

03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo / 41TE tranny. We have 80K miles on it now. Had an intake manifold gasket replaced under warranty. Recently replaced the tranny fluid and filter and the tranny developed a harsh down shift from 4 to 3 that requires a reflash and quick learn at the dealer to fix. Cheap though, $42. Also, the car had an appetite for spark plugs, had to change them every 10K (even with the recomended reduced gap) or the engine would develop a miss. At 50K swapped the coil pak for an MSD unit and replaced the wires with MSD 8.5mm ones and have gone 30k miles so far on the same plugs.

Also, had an 87 Ford Tempo we bought new and I gave it to my daughter with 150k miles on it which she promtly totaled. Never a like of a problem with this car either.

1988 3.9L V6, 213K and would still run today but the truck got parted out for my other Dakota project, all that got replaced was the radiator and water pump, and normal maintance, 22mpg too!

1997 5.2L V8, in my dads Dak, strong engine... also got me my first ticket

1996 5.9L V8, 281K and still will squeel tires! My uncles ram, original owner, original paint. Has had an exhaust system put in and water pump(s). All sorts of maintenence, damn good truck

1990 2.0L. i wanna say 146K, belts squeel when you start it, and i beat the hell out of that car! lol, good mpg, only issue is electrical problems with the radio and headlights and it used to overheat on my, first time i ever had a dummy light go on at me

My family had a 2003 Town & Country minivan with the 3.8L, no problems at all until it was totaled with almost 90k miles. For how big and heavy the later 'mini'vans are that thing could keep up with most any traffic. Replaced it with a fantastic '93 Cherokee 4.0L 5-speed and never looked back... we all know the legendary 4.oh.

-
Back