Newer style Master Cylinder for all drums/manual brakes

-

Jeffs73

Reaction score
I would like to put one one the newer master cylinders(I think there called an alloy one) on my 73 duster. I have all drums, no brake booster. What does it take to install one? What car does it come off of? Is it like the 80s truck ones? Thanks for any help

I believe the late model MC is for disc brake cars. I have no experience using one on a drum brake car,so I can't comment on whether it would work or not.
I have however used one on a disc brake car,and honestly felt no difference in performance.
If You had a drag/road racing car where every ounce counted,I would use one. Other than that I see no reason to use it. Grab a stock 1973 MC for a drum brake car and be done with it.

To be honest I'm not trying to get more performance using one, just like the style and easier to fill. If any one else has tried one with drums let me know.

Does anyone know if the master cylinder for manual brakes and disc is the same as manual and drum brakes?

Newer aluminum MC's have 2 bolts. I plan to put one on my 64 Valiant to get a dual system, and I don't like heavy, rust-prone cast iron. I was going to just drill 2 holes thru the firewall, but will probably get another "2 to 4 bolt" adapter plate. I paid ~$30 for the last one (ebay), but you can pay $80 if you prefer buying from speed catalogs. I used the first one to mount a new MC to a new factory booster on my C-body.

Re MC, many here use an ~85 Dodge truck one, but I expect many would fit. I used one for a 95-99 Breeze w/ ABS on all 3 of my Mopars. On my 65 Dart, I didn't need the adapter plate since I used an entire booster/MC from a Breeze on Dart stand-off brackets. Why ABS? Because those have only 2 ports. Why 99-? Because most later MC's have bubble flare ports, though you can actually form those (see youtube). All my cars have drums, though I plan front disks for the Dart, hence the booster.

Re size, mine are 7/8"D bore, and work fine. I recall that factory manual brakes are 1"D bore, but check rockauto. I wouldn't go bigger, unless you have a really strong leg. rock shows a smaller bore for power brakes in most A-body years. That sounds reversed, but not after you understand the lever ratio in the A-body bracket. A smaller bore makes an easier pedal, but more pedal travel. I use DOT 5 because I don't like rust inside my brake system either.

-
Back