NHRA BO29 information from 1968

-
Yes, so should the D-Darts, but people still want to use the letter "O" instead of the number "0" like you just did...

I definitely defer to anyone who had one, but I’m pretty sure every state would be different on registering one. I have read the motor vehicle standards for 1968 and there is no standard that they don’t meet. There were not that many standards then. The reason given for their not being legal in FAST is they did not come with a warranty. Every other argument is just silly.

0545E5E0-4382-4FCA-AB34-0FE9F9F7C2E5.png

I definitely defer to anyone who had one, but I’m pretty sure every state would be different on registering one. I have read the motor vehicle standards for 1968 and there is no standard that they don’t meet. There were not that many standards then. The reason given for their not being legal in FAST is they did not come with a warranty. Every other argument is just silly.

View attachment 1716256243

That looks like a table of contents with the Title to each standard.

I don't know what the details of each standard are. But these cars did not come with:
  • functioning speedometer and odometer
  • front window defroster
  • drivers side mirror
  • front fender side marker lamps/reflectors
Not sure if they had functioning neutral safety switches.

I would think a functioning speedo and odometer is a requirement. And side marker lights/reflectors were mandatory starting in 1968 for all US cars.

They had a red sticker in front of driver door that stated they were NOT Street Legal
or conform to safety standards.

At least the three I owned did. Including one Brand New in 1968.

There were some comments on the Factory Appearing Stock Tires facebook site about how they were not street legal and didnt have titles so they couldnt be included in the class . Wrong .... in fact I believe they made more BO29 and L029 cars than ZL1 Camaros or Chevelles so they should be allowed to run . Of course that would be Game Over ! Lol
And there's the reason it isn't allowed.

They had a red sticker in front of driver door that stated they were NOT Street Legal
or conform to safety standards.

At least the three I owned did. Including one Brand New in 1968.
I had the red sticker on mine also.

Hodges Dodges in Inman South Carolina would have been supplied with that by the owner of Arlan's cars ... he had both of them restored by them for Andy Helfner here in Columbia...the story of Andy ending up with Arlens 68 barracuda and 70 duster was unreal..they both sold with Arlen in attendance

-
Back