NHRA: Is it worth it?

-
Well, it didn’t happen. I forgot the ac man was coming to stop the leak in my air intake. I wound up watching Tiger and washing my pick up. Maybe next year, you guys made it sound like it’s definitely worth it.

Yea man, it is, even if it is just once.

Yeah, GO! It will blow you away. My brother likes to go to the races, used to anyway. He lives close to Bandimere and you can hear them run, that is how close he is. My nephew use to work for Mike Peek, and traveled nationwide with the Top Fuel team, car driven by Tony Schumaker, Blues Brothers. He did that for about 4 years. I had a chance to go to Route 66 track when he was there, it would of been carte blanche. My sister took him up on it at Gainesville, and was at the line when he ran. But go, it will be worth it. Last time I went to Bandimere was on Friday night qualifying, Seeing the flames coming out the pipes is awesome.

I liked old school racing, when they looked like cars.. but the top fuel cars are really something to see.. go and look when they tear them down and fire them up, and before they shut them down they flip it wide open, ... make sure your steady on your feet because the sound wave can knock you on your ***. :eek:

I liked old school racing, when they looked like cars.. but the top fuel cars are really something to see.. go and look when they tear them down and fire them up, and before they shut them down they flip it wide open, ... make sure your steady on your feet because the sound wave can knock you on your ***. :eek:

Walking through the pits at Orange County Raceway looking at FCs and talking. Go past Gordie Bonin's Bubble Up Vega not noticing the starter hanging on the blower snout. Just as I get about even with the zoomies :eek: ethanol shower :rofl:.

Last time I was at track to see top fuels we were at the pits while they just got done freshening up a top fuel car..as they were running it my friend was yelling in my ear and I wasn't paying attention.. when they flipped it WOT the wave hit me and I almost fell over backwards, and I'm not a little guy.:) They are in a world of there own....a must see.

You will never regret going to the NHRA Races.You walk around in the pits and meet people like John Force just walking around too. They are totally accessible and more than happy to talk .It's mind boggling what you see as they tear down a motor and rebuild it in 90 minutes ! Guys walking around in gas masks trying to avoid the yellow air from the nitro methane when they fire them in the pits ! The best thing is when you stand by the wall opposite the start line and they light them up.Every cell in your body is vibrating and the Earth is shaking from the power being released . There is nothing that comes close to it.

The best way to make your wife a race fan is to take her to the races.

I was racing dirt tracks when I met my wife in '87.
Three months later we were promoting a Friday night show.

She worked the ticket booth, kept an eye on the beer stand and concessions. Helped with the drivers payoff.

She hated it.

Fast forward 25 years and I took her to Fairbury, IL for their World of Outlaws race...she loved it.

She never got to see the racing when we were promoters....

When the big boys run.... gotta be there. Been doing it in Chicago area for 35 years

-
Back