Nicks Garage 383 build

-
I feel bad for that customer.. they are going to spend thousands chasing 50ft/lbs... he could have bought a $800 440 and just put it in...

I feel bad for that customer.. they are going to spend thousands chasing 50ft/lbs... he could have bought a $800 440 and just put it in...
I agree. Or even stroked his 383.

Nick didn't build it.. i don't think he builds motors anymore
I get that, but so far, I've not seen him address that it has standard passenger car pistons.....but then, I've not watched all that fiasco either.

He gets paid for making these videos, so the more part # videos here means more views from folks like us which equals more moolah for him. Entertaining at least!
I’m familiar with how you tube pays but I’m watching Nicks videos because we’re having a conversation about his results. Not having a conversation about his results because I’m watching his videos. I realize he gets payed either way but I do feel there is a difference, I only watch to have the discussion here. I don’t seek out his channel, IMO it’s hard to get through.

That's what i would do (although i would find a 400 block) 500 inch B block... done :)
Exactly. Those are about the same price now as a 451. Just dress it up like a 383. What's not to love?

I get that, but so far, I've not seen him address that it has standard passenger car pistons.....but then, I've not watched all that fiasco either.
It's not really worth watching.... i learned that valves being .030 sunk will lost 50ft/lbs and that if you cut heads .030 they will eat up .070 p/v clearance somehow

It's not really worth watching.... i learned that valves being .030 sunk will lost 50ft/lbs and that if you cut heads .030 they will eat up .070 p/v clearance somehow
I think you should "unlearn" both those things. lol

If one is trying for more power, and is on a somewhat tight budget, and isn’t willing to use an aftermarket manifold and headers, along with a little mild porting on the heads…….then imo, “making more power” isn’t really that high of a priority.

If you want it to look stock, and have a noticeable improvement in power over stock(improved seat of the pants feel)……..then add cubes.

Just to reiterate RAMMs initial thoughts on the TQ output…….
The factory rating of 425ft/lbs is a unicorn.
A 100% stock 383, run with factory exhaust, isn’t going to make that.

That being said, I haven’t found the 383 to be an unwilling foundation for respectable power output after receiving the usual hot rod treatments.

This one is pump gas, streetable solid cam, rpm intake, 750 carb, ported factory heads, headers:

IMG_0246.jpeg

Last edited:
He also said that line boring a block moves the crank closer to the cam... and i am not joking..
I saw that. That just shows one of two things. Either he's just spouting stuff for interest or he really doesn't know the proper way to do it.

If one is trying for more power, and is on a somewhat tight budget, and isn’t willing to use an aftermarket manifold and headers, along with a little mild porting on the heads…….then imo, “making more power” isn’t really that high of a priority.

If you want it to look stock, and have a noticeable improvement in power over stock(improved seat of the pants feel)……..then add cubes.

Just to reiterate RAMMs initial thoughts on the TQ output…….
The factory rating of 425ft/lbs is a unicorn.
A 100% stock 383, run with factory exhaust, isn’t going to make that.

That being said, I haven’t found the 383 to be an unwilling foundation for respectable power output after receiving typical the usual hot rod treatments.
I tend to agree with all your points here. That's not to say though that a 383 cannot be respectable with a few bolt on parts.

I saw that. That just shows one of two things. Either he's just spouting stuff for interest or he really doesn't know the proper way to do it.
Well.. i think it's the latter... i watched him dynoing a small block mopar, said he was adding some timing then turned the dist the wrong way.. and no timing light used... oddly no more power added :)

Well.. i think it's the latter... i watched him dynoing a small block mopar, said he was adding some timing then turned the dist the wrong way.. and no timing light used... oddly no more power added :)
I remember seeing that too! lol

Exactly. The 383 showed up at his shop with .030 aftermarket forged flat tops.......so less compression than a stock HP.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

I tend to agree with all your points here. That's not to say though that a 383 cannot be respectable with a few bolt on parts.
I think the tests I did on my own 383 proved that to be the case.
A properly machined and assembled long block, with a cam(granted, a pretty good sized one), intake, carb, and headers making 475+ hp.

Heck, it made 420hp with just the cam and headers……stock intake and carb.
Say you installed a streetable cam and it lost as much as 35-40hp……it would still be nearly 1 hp/ci.
That’s not terrible imo.

I think the tests I did on my own 383 proved that to be the case.
A properly machined and assembled long block, with a cam(granted, a pretty good sized one), intake, carb, and headers making 475+ hp.

Heck, it made 420hp with just the cam and headers……stock intake and carb.
Say you installed a streetable cam and it lost as much as 35-40hp……it would still be nearly 1 hp/ci.
That’s not terrible imo.
Specs on cam? And what final compression?

That did take a fairly large cam and some compression to get there. That combo with a ported head and a little less (hydraulic roller) cam would be a great street deal imo.

I can vividly remember when 318s were pulled out of cars for 383 swaps 383 was the go to engine to for a long time...

Nick is really dealing with alot of variables and is in constraints by a budget. Realistically I agree whole hartedly with many of our commentors about adding Cubes as Dwayne, JROB, Rusty and others have chimed in on. On the cheap cut down a 440 crank 440 rods and 1.32CH pistons and be done. On manifolds my fav and I've seen it is the 3.91 crank build. It provides amazing torque and power and still be friendly with manifolds. That's my 2 cents to add LOL

That did take a fairly large cam and some compression to get there. That combo with a ported head and a little less (hydraulic roller) cam would be a great street deal imo.
The trick would be coming up with a cam that’s big enough to not hold it back too much, but not be so big it’s miserable to live with on the street.

-
Back