Nitrous shortage

-

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Looks like us "bottle babies" might have a problem this year. Stopped by the supplier, yeasterday, to check the current pricing. Was informed, they haven't had any nitrous for several weeks, and don't know when they will get any.
See this article.
The Deadly Explosion Behind America's Whipped-Cream Shortage
Supplies alocated to Medical, and food first, then manufacturing, and racing last.

Yknow, that's the one and only thing that has kept me from diving into the nitrous thing hard. Shortages, real and fabricated, suppliers going tits-up when you need them the most. Sudden price spikes.
I went through all this with nitromethane back in the 90ss
I wonder what other readily avaible gasses can be used to substitute in a pinch.

honoustly, im more concerned with the whipped cream shortage
(i go to ihop about once a week)

What are all the young hoods gonna do when the can't get their 100 shot for their 2200 lb Civic?
You can throw NOS on a go cart and go fast.....
All throttle...No bottle :D

Propylene oxide was once used as a racing fuel, but that usage is now prohibited under the US NHRA rules for safety reasons. It has also been used in glow fuel for model aircraft and surface vehicles, typically combined in small percentages of around 2% as an additive to the typical methanol, nitromethane, and oil mix. It is also used in thermobaric weapons, and microbial fumigation.
As far as Nitrous goes IF everybody is out then its all a level playing field, hmmm back to the good ole days.

Doesn't surprise me on the pricing, I go through the 2x pricing just trying to get welding gas around here. Have to keep the previous receipt when I go in.

Well this sux lol.... Gonna gas mine a few times this year and get thrown out for no Bar lol....

I suspect Healthcare has their hands in this too.... It was 60 to fill a 10lb the other week with no problem. Let's check back in a month lol...

JW

I buy mine in a large "bottle" from a welding supply house. Last one I bought was about $120 for approx 65 lbs. I still have seven full 10 pounders, but that's only about two weekends of racing.

Frigging Government BS.

lemonaid.jpg

What does the government have to do with a shortage, due to a factory explosion?

Haven't you heard?
It was them that blew up the factory so they could say terrorists wanted to short us on whipped cream for the holidays.
It's called psychological terrorism. :D

It was a joke about the regulation of NOS by the DHS on the comment about terrorists possibly using it Charrlie.

Haven't you heard?
It was them that blew up the factory so they could say terrorists wanted to short us on whipped cream for the holidays.
It's called psychological terrorism. :D

It was a joke about the regulation of NOS by the DHS on the comment about terrorists possibly using it Charrlie.

I hadn't heard anything about regulation of NOS. Just read something about regulation of nitro methane, some years back.
PS: I don't know if it is still the same, but back in the '80's, when I lived in NJ, you needed a permit from the NJ state department of health to buy and handle nitrous oxide. But it was just a formality. Fill out a form, put it in a envelope, and mail. No fee, and good for 3 years.

Last edited:
In Illinois the Medical Nitrous is the same as Nitrous used for racing except they put Sulpher in it for racing purposes to keep pot heads from sniffing it. In Illinois Nitrous is also considered a drug along with medical Oxygen and if you get caught selling it to anyone but in the medical field you get to go to prison. Racing Nitrous in Illinois is not easy to get . I sell these gases and we had a concert in town and I had a guy offer me $5000 if I would sell him a tank. He left empty handed

In Illinois the Medical Nitrous is the same as Nitrous used for racing except they put Sulpher in it for racing purposes to keep pot heads from sniffing it. In Illinois Nitrous is also considered a drug along with medical Oxygen and if you get caught selling it to anyone but in the medical field you get to go to prison. Racing Nitrous in Illinois is not easy to get . I sell these gases and we had a concert in town and I had a guy offer me $5000 if I would sell him a tank. He left empty handed

Lol.... I had a fitting leak inside the car once and it got real on the inside. I had just left a Street Race and the Bottle was still on.... In those days my supplier was getting it from a Dentist so it was Filtered not that it would have mattered in the big picture.

We had a Biker Group off themselves in Richmond a long time ago from ingesting too much....

JW

-
Back