no 2-3 upshift on a- 904

-

adstr123

Reaction score
driving a 73 duster with a 904 trans .........i have no 2-3 upshift any ideas to look for ...........

adjustment of the kickdown linkage or as it should be called..Throttle pressure linkage...it will keep the trans from upshifting into 3rd...

for a quick check disconnect and drive car around block ..trans should shift really quick into high gear ....

If a new install, check the 2nd gear band adjustment Also the throttle pressure adjustment may be off.

You could try getting the tires off the ground and see if it shifts into third with no load.
Might tell us a few things.
FYI, no third shift is sometimes low mainline pressure because of worn parts.

Make sure it's full of fluid, and that the fluid isn't dark.
Make sure you have the return spring on the TP linkage that pulls it forward to the stop when no throttle is used, and that the linkage is adjusted at least close.
(travels fully rearward with WOT and comes all the way forward with none)
Pull the pan and find out how many chunks of clutch are in the bottom of it.

That's about the sequence to follow.

You could try getting the tires off the ground and see if it shifts into third with no load.
Might tell us a few things.
FYI, no third shift is sometimes low mainline pressure because of worn parts.

Make sure it's full of fluid, and that the fluid isn't dark.
Make sure you have the return spring on the TP linkage that pulls it forward to the stop when no throttle is used, and that the linkage is adjusted at least close.
(travels fully rearward with WOT and comes all the way forward with none)
Pull the pan and find out how many chunks of clutch are in the bottom of it.

That's about the sequence to follow.

yes did that all linkage was perfect kickdown etc i think it is the clutches ...........i did get tires off ground and still no 3rd gear

yes did that all linkage was perfect kickdown etc i think it is the clutches ...........i did get tires off ground and still no 3rd gear

It's possible there is something else amiss, but I have to agree with you.
It needs to have the pan dropped and checked for debris.
(probably black flakes of clutch material and a welded together clutch set)

-
Back