no brake lights

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
I have power on the thru the stop light switch in the peddle, have turn signals, running lights, but no brake lights? Any ideas where to look?

look in the turn signal switch on the steering column. im in process of wiring and putting my duster back together and i know there is hot lead that goes to the switch and then another wire goes from switch to turn signal. should be the white wire.

Jumper the brake light switch so you dont need to hold the pedal down. Witha test light verify brake lamp power on the white wiring going into the signal switch harness connector. When the signal switch is in the centered / off position you should find that same power comming bad down the steering column and out that same connecter on 2 other wires, green and yellow ( I think ). With the ignition switch off there will be no turn signal power, etc.. there. Dont probe the black wire or the horn will blow and you'll bump your head. Good luck.

OK, with the stoplight switch jumpered, I tested the white wire out of the steering column and no power. The green and yellow wires out of the column are turn signal and when switched on they power. Where do I go next, is it he turn signal cam?

This turns into an arguement like 3 out of 5 times. Some just can't comprehend how the wires are both stop and turn depending on switch position. Amyway...
Off white wire from nrake light switch goes directly to the signal switch hrness connector. You can untape the harness and follow the wire if you want. Good luck

Are saying the white wire should have power when braking but some power gets rerouted to the turn signal with swithed on one side? Don't under stand why I would need to untape the wires?

You shouldn'y have to untape the wires. Yes when you make the nrake light switch the power goes to the signal switch and right through it when its in the centered position. To select right turn will send turn to the right bulb and still send nrake to the left bulb and vise versa. Feck all that , you already know the turn signals work. Leave the ignition switch off and work on the brake light problem.

I noticed that the emergency flaser switch is the second white wire on the return. When I first check the wire going to the switch had power but not the out. After probing it with a test light brakes started to work. Looks like thevmight be that emergency switch is bad.

i just had the same problem, no brake lights only, turns out that the switch (plunger type) was just real gunked up, not allowing contact to be made. took it out and sprayed it with some carb cleaner, wiped it out with a q-tip and it worked fine.
-Tim

-
Back