No brake lights

-

RedScampi

Reaction score
So, I got the bumpers back on the car after the recent paint job and have plugged in the connectors in the trunk. I have turn signals and tail lights but for some reason I now have no brake lights. I will say I hadn't checked them recently so this could have been a pre-existing condition. I checked and replaced the fuse but i still have nothing. What's the next thing to look at, the brake light switch? Also i should note that I had the gauge cluster out a couple of weeks ago and that the under dash wiring on this car has seen better days. It's on the list but i just want to figure out the brake light issue right now. Any insight or ideas?

Take the 2 plugs out of the brake light switch and jump them together. If they light up, the problem is in that switch.

i had the same problem make sure the brake lights have ground that was my problem hope this helps :D

Everrything on the car is chassis grounded. The ground is through the sockets, fixtures,and so on. If the park and turn elements of those bulbs work the ground is probably fine.
One wire at the brake light switch is hot at all times ( check with a test light ). The other wire is hot when the pedal is pressed to close the switch.
From there the brake light power goes up the steering column and through the turn signal switch. When that switch is in the cenetered position the power goes on to both rear lights. Using a test light you want to find that power going up on a off white or tan wire and cominung back down on 2 others ( green and yellow I think ). We dont want the problem to be the signal switch but it often is :(
Good luck

to tell you the truth i dont know i was putting new lightbulbs in because they didnt light and when i put the assembly back in it didnt light so i put the car in reverse and it kind of tilted and the brake lights turned on lol! my dad said it did that becase it didnt have ground and once i put the cover on it works fine ill ask my dad what he meant when he gets home lol

We dont want the problem to be the signal switch but it often is :(
Good luck

Thanks for the very thorough response Redfish! I have had the column on the other car out and apart so many times I could do it in my sleep! At least it wouldn't be a complete disaster.

I just finished putting mine back together tonight, same problem (see help for an idot post). My issue turned out to be the jumper wire on the backside of the turn signal cam. I had to clean the terminal and bend the jumper wire with needle nose pliers so it made good contact with the terminals.
The pink wire going to the breaklight switch is the hot wire. Check it first, if you have power jump the pink and white to verify the switch is in working order or not...
The white wire from the brake switch runs up to the hazard switch in the column which then goes to the turn signal cam... A test light and some patience will solve the problem..
If you need I found a wiring schematic for my car online (pdf) at mymopar.com. They'll have one for your car as well.
Good luck!!!

Hey E55D21 do those wirimg diagrams let you know what fuse belongs to what. By the way I have the same problem with my Duster right now it sucks I know.

-
Back