No Charge?

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
Engine is a pre 74 slant six, with electroinic ignition, MSD 6a, 60 Amp squareback alt, with 2nd field wire grounded.

Battery died, did not start, jumped battery with my truck, car started right away, runs fine drive about 10 miles to charge battery, but Alternater Guage in sitting right at the middle, usually the needle is slightly right of center, and more right of center when the battery is charging/low from parking with lights on for extended times etc. When I turn on acessories like Headlights or heater blower, the needle on the guage moves left of center, which I believe indicates discharging of the battery.

If I leave the battery hooked up to the truck after jumping for a while, the batterty chargesd from the trucks charging system, and the car starts for a while until I kill the battery again.

Yesterday, I replaced the voltage regulator, which was replaced previously a few months ago, when I was experiencing the Dimming lights at idle. charging system is still not working.

Question:

How can I determine if my car has an ammeter or has been converted to a Voltage type meter.

If I have an ammeter how would one test it

I dont have a multi meter, only a test light, am I going to have to get one?

I would check the brushes in the alternator. It is quite common for them to wearout.

Chuck

Yes, go buy yourself a cheap meter you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Start the car and put the meter on the posts of the battery while running you should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts or thereabout. If you do then the charging side of the alt and voltage reg are good, you can loose a diode in the alt which will allow the battery to discharge thru the alt over night.

The voltage regulator will do it's job at regulating the voltage but it will not hold the voltage/reserve power in the battery.

But the FIRST thing is to buy a meter. If your gonna own an old car you need to have one of these. In the long run it will save you a lot of money and parts not needed.

A cheap one should run you about 40$

racy

bought as new alternator, and everything is Fine now, New alt is 78 Amps, so I think I will bypass the ammeter this weekend!!!

Yes, go buy yourself a cheap meter you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Start the car and put the meter on the posts of the battery while running you should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts or thereabout. If you do then the charging side of the alt and voltage reg are good, you can loose a diode in the alt which will allow the battery to discharge thru the alt over night.

The voltage regulator will do it's job at regulating the voltage but it will not hold the voltage/reserve power in the battery.

But the FIRST thing is to buy a meter. If your gonna own an old car you need to have one of these. In the long run it will save you a lot of money and parts not needed.

A cheap one should run you about 40$

racy

i think cheap ones are less than $40 ;-)

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DMM-9202/760/DIGITAL_MULTIMETER_.html

10 clams :)

yep found one tday fer 21$ digital even,,,

congrats on the fix i was kinda leaning towards the alt

racy

-
Back