No clue about working on carbs

-

68ValiantEffort

Reaction score
I just put a 2 bbl carb on my slant 6 and its giving me problems. When i try to start it it wont, until i spray carb starter in it then it will start but then shuts off. Then after i turn the screws to the richest setting and set the idle real high it will keep running. of course after the engine warms up i can re-adjust the carb so it isnt running rich and set the idle down and it will run ok. but when i go to start it the next day it wont until i adjust it to the rich and high idle settings....help me please...do i just need to chuck this carb or what....im completely carb retarded :scratch: any help is much appreciated.

65Val said:
Sounds like the choke isnt coming on,or isnt hooked up,or possibly vacuum leaks.

I agree; I assume you did the super six swap? If you swapped on an old choke thermostat, it might not be functioning properly...

Is number 40 on this chart the choke thermostat? http://www.carburetorfactory.com/expvw03.html

Everything seems hooked up right, but the only way i can start it is adjust the idle screws and spray carb starter in it.

There were about 6 vacuum outlets on the carb and i used 3 and plugged the other 3. but there is a small outlet about 2 inches long that comes out of the top rear of the carb and i have no idea what it is so i left it alone.....im so sorry that i sound retarded but i have no idea about carbs. thanks for that help again.

Nope...choke thermo show look something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...002QQitemZ120055964158QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It fits in a well that's cast into the intake manifold and contains a spring that the rod is attached to as well as the carb's choke plate. When cold, the spring coils up and pushes the rod up which closes the choke plate and turns on the fast idle. As the engine runs and heats up,the hot exhaust gasses that pass through the intake manifold heat the spring attached to the rod ,the spring gradually uncoils ,pulls down on the rod, opens the choke plate and turns the choke and fast idle off.

(That's probably clear as mud,eh?)

You should have probably only3 vacuum ports hooked to anything and the rest blocked off.

1.Ported vacuum to distributor vac.advance diaphragm(could be on the carb body)
2.Manifold vac. to PCV (this should be a larger port on the base of the carb.)
3.Manifold vac. to choke pulloff diaphragm(probably on the carb base)

Hope this helps...

thanks a lot. that makes sense. the guy who helped me put it on told me i wouldnt need that because the carb i put on already had something to do that????? i dunno.. but id have to buy a new one because that one was broke. which if thats the problem then thats why my single bbl probaly didnt work. will the choke thermo work the same way with the new carb b/c it was set up different from the single bbl. i had to change the position of the throttle cable. i will go look in the morning to see if the old choke thermo will at least match up. just to clear things up, is the choke plate the flap thats near the top of the carb?? remember I= carb retarded. thanks for the simple explaination 65val....this is kinda my learning project so dont feel bad if u have to break it down like i was in kindergarden b/c i probaly need it that simple.

""is the choke plate the flap thats near the top of the carb??""

Yes, the top flap is the choke plate. If your new carb is a different type from your old carb, you may have to do some innovating to get the choke thermo to hook up and work right.

""so dont feel bad if u have to break it down like i was in kindergarden b/c i probaly need it that simple.""

Thanks. I wasn't sure about where your level of experience was,and I would certainly apologize if I made the wrong assumption and my explanations sounded like I was "talking down to you", I surely didn't mean it. The title of your thread was " No clue about carbs",so I kinda took you at your word. :thumbup:

Anyway, if you can find someone in your area that can modify what you have there to work with, I'm sure you can get the car to start and run cold without spraying and adjusting the idle mixtures everytime.

BTW, does your new carb have an electric choke?

If you can get some pics of your current setup, we all may be able to fix your problems.

-
Back