No crank after accidental spark to VR

-

PepperoniOlive

Reaction score
I’m installing a ln MSD 6AL along with a new ready to go MSD distributor. I’m was trying to chase down ignition 1 and 2 wires to jump together and send to the 6al. I stripped one of the blue wires to crank test and verify it’s the ignition 1. When I cranked with it attached to the voltmeter, I saw a spark and noticed it fell over and touched the voltage regulator, essentially sending 12v to it. Now the starter won’t even crank over. I still get dash lights and 12 volts to the brown and blue wires but no crank. Did I fry my voltage regulator? I don’t see why the starter wouldn’t start.

I'm pretty good at imagining situations but even if you fried the VR, that has NOTHING to do with the crank circuit.
My guess is that depending on how long the electrons were sizzling, the blue wire to the ignition Sw got damaged or more likely that battery voltage is Not making it thru the bulkhead, past the ammeter to the Ig sw, and still more likely is that the fusible link melted, but MOST likely is that the trans neutral sw is not grounding, lol.
Just wiggle the shift lever, with the key in crank position, lol.

Get out your test light and check the fusable links

If the wire touched the VR case, it would not damage the VR.

Agree.
Touching a hot wire to the ground will short the circuit and cause a higher current flow from the battery to ground.
The high current will damage or break the weakest link - that could be a wire, a fuse, a connection, or a fusible link.

Without knowing what year, model and option, and without knowing what mods were done we can only make WAGs.
I see a later Dart with scoop in the photo. A '76 much is different than a '75 and is the hardest for people to figure out. '74 originally has the complication of the seat belt interlock but otherwise is similar to a '73 .

Illustration and description of '72 and '73 starting circuits and power feeds.

Explanation and illustions of how the starting circuits work.

Simple ways to add MSD 6 series to a 73 with magnetic pickup distributor.

'76 power distribution is totally different Searching for 12v switched power after ditching ballast and installing aftermarket electronic ignition

Last edited:
WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON? Make, model, year? If it's a beaker, (73/ later), it seems to me there are additional fuses/ fuse links involved. DO YOU HAVE a service manual? If it is a 73, there is one at MyMopar. If it is a 74, I have a digital one that is TOO LARGE to upload. PM me, send me a return mailer and a USB stick, and I'll send you a copy for your cost of mailing.

Thanks for all the help. Sorry for the poor description. It’s a 73 dart with a 76 360 in it. I’ve discovered it was a bad ground on the starter relay. I’m not sure what happened as it was cranking before but I put a new relay in with a proper ground and boom, it worked.

-
Back