no crank from key

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Car won't crank from key not in park and not in neutral. New ignition switch last year, new starter relay. I've checked and double checked nss and the connection is tight. Turns over fine when I jump the relay. Also when I,hit the key the whole,car goes dead. Till I let off start position. Any direction would be appreciated

I can only assume that the car is a 72 Scamp. If so and it has a ignition switch on the steering column, check the plug connection where the wires come out of the column. My 70 Duster burnt the connection there and I had to jumper the plug connector for it to start with the key.I jumped the starter relay to get it home. Just a thought..

Car won't crank from key not in park and not in neutral. New ignition switch last year, new starter relay. I've checked and double checked nss and the connection is tight. Turns over fine when I jump the relay. Also when I,hit the key the whole,car goes dead. Till I let off start position. Any direction would be appreciated

Check the body ground. The skinny wire coming off the negative side of the battery.

I have the same exact issue with my 72 Duster. The skinny wire coming off of the battery ground cable isn't connected to anything at all. Are you saying it should be connected to the body close to the battery since the wire is not long at all.

Have you installed the grounds we talked about on Facebook? You told me all you had was the one negative battery cable from the battery to the engine and that your headers hit the frame and that was your ground. That ain't enough.

Explain how you jumped the relay. First suspect is always the battery terminals, but probably not if you jumped it how I imagine. You need a multimeter and know how to use it and trouble-shoot.

Verify that each component is doing its job. Ex, all the NSS does is connect its single wire to ground (BATT-). Is that true? Don't check the screws, use the multimeter. Then verify still true as you turn the key (not just a weak connection to ground), and so on. Valuable knowledge since the starter circuit hasn't conceptually changed in new cars, at least not in my 2002 Chrysler. They just use a standard relay instead of the older special "starter relay".

-
Back