no dragstrip for me

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
SOOOOO not happy
Last night, we took the cuda down to the weekly show at the mall, and the car wouldn't go into reverse....or N, or P.....hmm...it'll go into low....but then not into 2, D, N, R, or P......CRAP....now i know the problem

sure enough...the cable was sticking out of the melted sheath under the car.....it was melted a little before i put it in, and isn't touching the headers, so i think it just finally pushed through the sheath...

so i go to the local speed shop for a new cable, right?
apparently, all of the local speed shops stopped stocking Morse cables and sent all inventories back.....

so it'll be another 2 weeks before i can see the SS spring difference or put on the new carb.....

CRAP

green67cuda said:
sure enough...the cable was sticking out of the melted sheath under the car.....it was melted a little before i put it in, and isn't touching the headers, so i think it just finally pushed through the sheath...

Why did it melt? Heat from the exhaust, or do you have a bad engine ground? Check it out before you scorch another cable....

I know what it's like to be stuck on the sidelines.... I'm hoping to have my heap alive by Labor Day weekend. It's only been almost a year it's been off the road. :cry:

2 weeks? You could have another cable Tuesday if you order it from Summit and ship it overnight. I suspect though that where you're located 2 days would be normal shipping.

green67cuda said:
SOOOOO not happy
Last night, we took the cuda down to the weekly show at the mall, and the car wouldn't go into reverse....or N, or P.....hmm...it'll go into low....but then not into 2, D, N, R, or P......CRAP....now i know the problem

I melted 2 before I built a small heat shield.
In my 440 Dart, the cable was close to one of the header pipes. I didn't think it was close enough to destroy the cable, but it was.
What I did was to take a muffler clamp and put it on the pipe that was close to the cable, with the bolt ends twords the shifter cable.Put the nuts on and tighten securly. Then I cut a piece of sheet metal about 6-8" long and around 2 1/2 - 3" wide. Drill 2 holes in it to match the muffler clamp and bolted it to the clamp. This gives it air space on the pipe side and keeps the heat away from the cable.
I never had a problem after that. It's no fun going down the track and having the cable lock up on you.

i got to looking, and the center link caught it and pushed it up against the header pipe....

i ordered a new one, and it's on its way....i have to wait 2 weeks because of my work schedule...i have to work every other weekend. so that really sucks....

i also ordered a lokar throttle cable and bracket, some dial-in (Jeg's has the rear quarter spray and dial-in in an 8.99 package deal), a new radiator cap, and an overflow/expansion tank...

i will probably try to get to the track a week from tuesday for all the teeny-boppers' fun night....then race for $$ the following weekend

green67cuda said:
...i have to work every other weekend. so that really sucks...

It's getting impossible to find a job in my field that doesn't require working Saturdays. Fortunetly I was able to find one in a slightly different (heavy truck repair instead of auto repair) industry that I ain't giving up any time soon. I have to work 4pm to midnight though, but I consider that a benefit.

-
Back