No Electronic box in pointless distributor

-

GY3 WEDGE

Reaction score
I have 1971 Duster 340 with dual ballast resistor no electronic box to control spark , no extra wire ,distributor wire goes to coil, with Chrysler reluctor in distributor look like oe. Build date of may ,1971 on car .Ever herd of such a system?

Gotta have something somewhere. Pictures would help.

It's either not factory and there's a module under or in the dist. or else you are missing something.

I m including a few picture ,in all my years as a mopar guy first time I Ve seen something like that, NO Box .I believed first electronic were 1972 duster 340 standard équipement optional on all other model. Look under dash , battery tray, console nowhere to be find

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

IMG_1300.jpeg

IMG_1299.jpeg

IMG_1297.jpeg

I m including a few picture ,in all my years as a mopar guy first time I Ve seen something like that, NO Box .I believed first electronic were 1972 duster 340 standard équipement optional on all other model. Look under dash , battery tray, console nowhere to be find

View attachment 1716090308

View attachment 1716090309

View attachment 1716090311

View attachment 1716090312

View attachment 1716090313
It should look something like this or close to it(Ignition module may be a different color)

Engine bay.jpg

It's a May 6 Bulletin that describes a running change. So whether your car came with it needs more research.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1971/D71-8-9 Page 1.jpg

The distributor is missing the vacuum canister and the p/n does not match the TSB's

The purple wire out of the wrap seems out of place and would follow that to see if it turned up something.
An ECU could ahve been placed in some unusual location. Sometimes hot rodders/racers will move a unit - whether it be a Chrysler type box or something else.

Follow the pickup wires if you can.

The location of the dual resistor raises questions. Compare with above photo.

1684187623021.png

It seems to be converted and they did not consider using the correct locations of the later years.

The ceramic touching the pinchseam/gutter is a giveaway.
Here's a '72 thats not too molested.
1684190514395.png

1684190572541.png

Nothing is off limits for a modification. Someone might have thought inside the car was better for heat disipation of the amplifier/ECU or whatever they installed.

Here's an example of how the compensating resistor for a points distributor was mounted
1684190979206.png

Last edited:
The ceramic touching the pinchseam/gutter is a giveaway.
Here's a '72 thats not too molested.
View attachment 1716090348

View attachment 1716090349

Nothing is off limits for a modification. Someone might have thought inside the car was better for heat disipation of the amplifier/ECU or whatever they installed.

Here's an example of how the compensating resistor was mounted
View attachment 1716090350
When people modify things this way, it makes it harder for anyone else to fix some of the related issues that may show up.

I guest the best way would be to rip harness follow pick up wiring . who ever did this hid the module pretty good been looking for a while in my opinion has to have one somewhere

Regardless, it's the wrong distributor. Looks like a lean burn type since it has no vacuum advance.

Look for wrapping changes/junctions between original and new.
I'd begin with the purple wire since its not wrapped.
Check the service manual but I think the main use of purple insulation in the engine side of the firewall was fo reverse lamp switch. That was bundled with the neutral safety switch on automatics.

The blue wire seems curious too.
Looks like like its pinched (illusion?) to a cable retainer on the side of the throttle bracket.
Blue wires are generally the engine run circuit. AKA Ignition 1 and coded J2 in the shop manual drawings.
Really imprtant those are not damaged. There is no fuse on them. They feed the ignition, choke assist if there is one, alternator rotor (aka field).
1684197182135.png

Another pair to follow is the coil connections.
We can see one has a replacement terminal on it.
1684197400250.png

With points distributor positive connects to the ballast resistor. Neg connects to the distributor.
With any ECU except maybe pertronics, the both wires go back to the box.

Last edited:
the blue wire is feed to idle solenoid, purple wire is tach feed, what I can see distributor wire goes in harness & coil wires are comming from harness also

Look around some more and if nothing turns up, untape the harness is your next move---follow the pickup wires.

If the car runs ok, then there is no need to do anything.....just drive the car. Getting a dist with a vac adv would be a good idea, simple swap.

never seen a lean burn in the flesh.. but wasnt the dizzy plugged into the computer and the computer was mounted somwhere peculiar like on th air filter housing.?? ifthe air filter has a big square lump on it with a vacuum actuator near it.....You have ELB....

And if i was putting in an igntion ECU that i could upload maps to i might use an ELB dizzy locked at zero or 10 BTDC and a TDC magnet on the balancer as TDC pointer. and use that lot to drive it....

or even an MSD box with start retard....on a big motor with drag racing in mind peg it at 28 and retard it to 15 to start kinda thing..don't need advance if you only intend to drive at WOT :)

My 71 340 Duster 4 speed had a dual point Prestolite distributor from the factory. Your car has obviously been modified.

-
Back