No end play

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Figured out that the pump bushing was gone in my trans that was the culprit. Re-assembled with same fiber washer on a different pump as had .062 end play before I disassembled. Now when I install and tighten pump bolts with same washer it I have zero shaft end play. What gives?? Should a try a thinner or thicker fiber washer??

Figured out that the pump bushing was gone in my trans that was the culprit. Re-assembled with same fiber washer on a different pump as had .062 end play before I disassembled. Now when I install and tighten pump bolts with same washer it I have zero shaft end play. What gives?? Should a try a thinner or thicker fiber washer??
Sounds like you dont have a drum ( clutches splined ) all the way.

Sometimes ya have to grease up the rings so they stay centered cuz they can snag and jam everything up. Figure it out and tighten up that to about .025. Oh and make sure both pumps have the same number of ring lands for the forward drum.

Does it matter if pump is installed with trans laying parallel or does it need to be straight up and down on its end??

Does it matter if pump is installed with trans laying parallel or does it need to be straight up and down on its end??

I just assembled a 727 over the weekend. I stood it up on end and strapped it to a leg of my workbench to install the clutch assemblies and pump. It made it much easier to align the clutches and ensure everything was installed correctly. Plus, it made it a little easier to measure and verify end play.

It helps a lot to safely install the clutch, drums and pump to have it upright.
You have to stand it on something so the output shaft isn't shoved up.

What helps on being sure the clutch drums are all the way down is to drop both drums already stacked in and a light lifting (maybe half the weight of the drum stack) while you semi violently twist them back and forth holding the input shaft.
Once seated you should be able to lift them slightly and hear a clunk when setting them back down semi fast.

Another decent way is to look at the sun gear shell and see if the tabs on the front drum line back up with the wear marks on the shell notches.

(Don't forget to put your front band in before the pump goes in.:D)

I’ve have a Transmission bell or some may call it a big c-clip. I use to build a lot of automatic transmissions so I bought it. It’s very handy. Allows you position the tranny anywhere you need it to be!!

As far as splining the your clutches onto a hub or another drum I have found using some channel locks grab the splin part of the input shaft or any splined shaft and just turn back and fourth real short strokes !! It jiggles all the clutches so they line up and splin correctly !! Everyone has their way of doing things. This works for me very well!! I’ve built a lot transmission of all different flavors!! This has work for me on every one I’ve ever built!!

Last edited:
-
Back