No good deed goes unrewarded!!!

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know that's not how the phrase goes, but it seems more appropriate! A friend of mine asked me to help him clean out a storage locker for his elderly mom on a 95 degree day in the middle of my 4 day vacation. I reluctantly agreed because he is a good friend and would probably throw in lunch for helping out.

We worked for a couple of hours filling up a pickup with JUNK, when I came across this Coca-cola tray. His mom noticed me looking at it and asked if I liked it? I said yeah, it's old and got great patina to it. She said "It's yours for helping out". I gladly accepted it and she even gave us some brownies to take home for the kids!!

column013Medium.jpg

I get the tray home and do a little research, turns out it is highly collectable tray from 1937 in above average condition. There are several on Ebay right now (in worse condition) with BIN prices from $89 to $255!!!! A collector book says the value for a nice one could be above $300!!! (not in this economy).

I'm not going to sell it cause it looks cool on my shelf and it was a gift, but it definitely made the afternoon worth while!!!

It's amazing what can come your way with a little kindness. Great score!

Amen there Brian. I think the best reward is the feeling of helping someone out, and I especially like to spend time with older friends. They are always a wealth of stories, information, "how it used to be's" and the lost art of communication and integrity!!! Glad you got such a nice memento for your help too, thats a great bonus!!! Geof

That's a great story, nice you have a memento from that day and that nice lady. Like you I was raised that it's not proper to sell a gift.

Helping folks out give me a sense of self worth and it can turn a bad day to a good one
I enjoy old folks and helping friends with guidance and some times just being there to make them smile and laugh :toothy7:
Good move and I agree totally BrianT.

That is great. Looks like you were rewarded in more ways than one for your good deed.

what a great thank you gift

Wife loves coke stuff and we have a lot but all newer stuff

I help an older couple when I can and they always want to give me money or stuff. Most of the time I can get out empty handed, but sometimes I let them give me whatever so they will feel better. But I just glad I can help.

keep it and enjoy and help out when you can, the real reward is in giving to others

What size is it? The small ones around 4" X 8" were what they put your check and change on at a soda fountain. So often they are scratched up from being used that way.

Very cool score with the added benefit of being a great friend. I would like to have a friend like you.

I spent yesterday (till 2 am) helping a friend with his bike. It was hot and uncomfortable but I felt great in the morning.

Great score BrianT! I'm sure your friend and his mom really appreciated the help.

Great story and a nice memento. I hope you didn't keep the brownies, too. I hear their value goes down within days.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. My buddy and I have been friends for over 30 years and seen some pretty hard times together and have stuck together through thick and thin. He helped me clean out my Mom's house after she passed, and I gave him a bunch of stuff to take down to the farm. He also let me store the Dart in his barn for 18 months without any mention of it. We cut and split wood together in the fall, although all my fireplaces are gas! We are going today to move a FORD tractor with four flat tires!!

Good friends help each other out, even when there is little or no return expected. Kinda like FABO. We try to help out if we know the answer to someone's question. Call it Karma, call it faith. I believe what goes around, comes around!!

We have some Coca-Cola stuff too. A few pieces are vintage but most of it is licensed reproductions.

One can only imagine how many times the added artwork was washed off that tray. You can bet it was done to many of them with a pocket knife too. One can also assume that the graffiti is the reason for that particular trays one time issue and subsequent value in todays market.
Does that sound like something you might here on Antiques Roadshow ?
Have a Coke and a :)

-
Back