No headers fit a 273 Barracuda with Power Steering? Help please!

-

damonpowell

Reaction score
Ive just started playing around with the performance of my 66 Barracuda 273 and Im having a lot of trouble finding headers to fit. On the left side of the engine sits the power steering unit so there is literally no room for anything other than the stock set up. What do other people do to get headers or block huggers to fit? Any brands make them?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site.

Try looking through the Early A-body section. I've seen quite a few posts about headers in that section that should help you.

There is a company called TTI that makes headers for the early A body cars. You can find the information at ttiexhaust.com. Be prepared for a high price. I purchased a set for my 66 Dart and have installed them. They fit but not an easy installation. They can also offer you a complete exhaust system as well. I have heard others here recommend headers for the early A cars but i couldnt find anything else available. Best of luck with your hunt.
Rod

That is why [as much as i would love headers] i'm staying with stock manifolds TTI products are very good but very pricy!!!!

OK great, thanks guys. I'll check out the early A body section and TTI. Appreciated!

That is why [as much as i would love headers] i'm staying with stock manifolds TTI products are very good but very pricy!!!!

This▲▲▲

I'm the same. Just no easy fitting headers for an early Barracuda with power steering.

Dougs also fit with power steering and are not quite as expensive as the TTI.

Rusty is correct however i have heard the horror stories of how you have to cut them and modify them to fit properly. The last time i checked Doug's were around 800$ and T.T.I. WAS 1100$. Too rich for my bank account.

installed hooker(5208?) semi fender for my -65 valiant, with power steering and v8.
had raiser plate under driverside engine mount, helps to make more clearence between pressure pipe and exhaust , pressure pipe top of steering gear on my car. also exhaust goes close to torsion bar on driverside. works for me

Would the Trebilg special manifolds fit this application?

1100? try $823, right on their website. Maybe with shipping to Fla, it got pricey. Granted, not cheap, but if you don't want to modify the car, this is the way to go, if you want performance.

Rusty is correct however i have heard the horror stories of how you have to cut them and modify them to fit properly. The last time i checked Doug's were around 800$ and T.T.I. WAS 1100$. Too rich for my bank account.

Nooo.

I have had Dougs on my car for about 15 years, I have power steering and a 5 speed and they clear everything just fine. I have a mini starter and run .1.14 torsion bars and they are snug around these but they fit great. I highly recommend these for your application over fenderwell headers.

Attachments

• IMG_5232.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5234.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 163
I ran Dougs on my 65 360 Valiant and they were hands down the easiest headers I have ever installed. Follow the deestruckshuns and everything fits perfect.

My TTi were just over $800 a year ago. But the money layout does not stop there. As mentioned above you will probably need to change the starter to a mini that you can index. I used a napa mini but had to heat and bend one of the tubes slightly keeping me from touching the starter body. Mine is still not on the road yet so once I start driivng and see where everything settles I may have to make some more minor adjustments. They are a very tight fit and not a quick install but I couldnt find any dougs when I was looking.
Rod

-
Back