No headlights or parking lights

-

BuckeyeAlex

Reaction score
After washing my car (1969 Dart) last night, as I went to pull back into my garage, I pulled the headlight switch and noticed the headlights didn't come on. I've owned the car for about 2.5 yrs and all lights have always worked, so this seemed odd. FABO, I turn to you yet again.

After cleaning the connectors on the switch with no difference, this is what I've found:

-Tail lights and brakes both work normally
-Flashers work normally front and rear
-Turn signals both front and rear light up and stay lit, no flashing
-With parking lights or headlights turned on, there is no action up front. No headlights, no parking lights

I'm confused as to why the parking lights will work with the turn signals and flashers, but not the headlight switch. I'm going to check and clean the grounds this evening, aside from that I'm thinking it's the headlight switch, but then I question why the tails would work off the switch, but not the parking lights or headlights.

I did have the grille off of it last month, but I'm pretty sure I've used the headlights since then without issue and I gave the connections a quick look last night and they seemed fine. Headlights have only ever been disconnected once last year when I had to replace one that was burnt out.

All the front lamps are grounded to the radiator/core support.

Either grounds or where the light harness connects to the bulkhead connector

tail lights and parking lights

head lights

turn signals

hazards

are all on separate circuits. Turn and hazard share some of the same wiring

The light switch has TWO power sources....
1...Unfused power for the headlights only......breaker inside the HL switch

2...Fused power for tail / park and dash lights

I cleaned and secured the connections and grounds for the front lights and now the parking lights work and my right turn signal works, but the left signal remains lit solid when turned on. With the parking lights on the left front is brighter as if the turn signal is lit, and still no headlights. I swapped the bulbs in the parking lights to see if the working turn signal would switch sides...no change, left side signal remains lit solid and with parking lights on the left had both filaments lit. Flashers remain working front and rear. I'm thinking there's a good chance the headlights are due to the breaker in the switch, but the left signal I'm not sure about.

EDIT: Front left does NOT work when the flashers are on. What the heck...

I should add that the bulkhead looks fine and those connections were cleaned in the spring. At this point I'm just down to no headlights and the left turn signal remains lit solid, lights both filaments with the parking light on, yet does not light up at all with the flashers. I'm going to try to source a new switch to try from a friend and see if that makes any differences at all.

"Looks." What the 'ell does "looks fine" mean??

Get a multimeter, or in this case even a 12V test lamp and actually make some checks.

You have a shop manual? A FACTORY shop manual? Download one FREE over at MyMopar

I know, I know. No corrosion, melted plastic, other signs of malfunctions. I don't have a meter, but shouldn't have an issue borrowing one this weekend. I'll download the manual and print it out. Now knowing that the headlights have their own breaker in the switch, I highly expect that to be the cause of them not working. As for the left signal, the pursuit continues...

Frankly I doubt the switch is the problem. A 12V test lamp is probably good enough in this case. You really don't need to print the manual, they are too damn big.

"Around that time" there is a mistake in the manual(s) concerning the bulkhead connector. I believe it has to do with the horn (dark green / red) and the start (yellow) wires.

First thing I'd do is access the dimmer switch. That's because "it's easy." With the light switch ON TWO terminals of the switch are live. This is HL power coming in, and either hi or low power going out. Cycling the switch should turn off one terminal, and fire up the remaining terminal. If you have power there, concentrate on the bulkhead connector and or grounds out front

Your high beam wires at the firewall are X and Y, violet and red

Attachments

• 69bulkhead.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 69lighting.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 69lighting2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 79
-
Back