No headlights...

-

53ryder

Reaction score
This 1965 Dodge Dart I bought a few days ago doesn't have working headlights. I looked at the fuse box and all the fuses seem to be in working order. All the other lights, brake lights, backup lights, dome light, turn signals are working. Just no headlights.

Is there anyway to check if these Westinghouse headlamps are good? I removed one and gently shook it and listened to see if I heard anything rattling around. Nothing rattling.

Any thoughts?

Glenn

Check continuity with a multi meter on the ohms setting, better yet
Check for 12 volts at the plugs

Headlight power does not come from the fuse panel. The black ammeter wire has a factory splice taped up in the under--dash harness. This feeds the "hot buss" of the fuse panel, the ignition switch, and ONLY headlight power (not stop, tail or instrument) to the headlight switch, which has a breaker built in

The fastest way to troubleshoot this is to take a meter or test lamp and see if you have power at the dimmer switch. No matter whether the dimmer is on high or low beam, with the headlight switch on, TWO terminals of the dimmer should be HOT

IF that is the case, go out to the headlights and check them out. Poor ground on the harness? Bad sockets, bad bulbs?

If you only have power on ONE of the dimmer switch terminals, the dimmer switch is bad. They are cheap, and any decent parts store should have one

If there is no power at any of the dimmer switch terminals, it's time to pull the headlight switch and have a look.

To get the knob/ shaft apart, unhook the battery ground. Pull the switch out, and feel around up in there for the realease button, and the knob/ shaft will come right out. Then you can remove the trim nut and the switch

Release button:

WiringLiteSwBack2.jpg

Check continuity with a multi meter on the ohms setting, better yet
Check for 12 volts at the plugs

Multi meter? Don't have one. Were can I get one? O'Reillys/AutoZone/NAPA?
Just ask for a multi-meter? Price range to get one?

Yes I'm a doofus, but I'm a Mopar doofus! I'm just way behind on learning this stuff. I wished I had payed more attention when my dad was alive and worked on his cars. But I didn't learn from him. He's long passed. So maybe you all can fill in for him. Okay?

Glenn

Hi Glenn, yea multi meters can be bought alot of places, even Homedepot and Lowes. I would also look into a 12v test light, cheap at anywhere auto parts are sold. Will be good to learn to use these tools when messing with any car.

Multi meter? Don't have one. Were can I get one? O'Reillys/AutoZone/NAPA?
Just ask for a multi-meter? Price range to get one?

Yes I'm a doofus, but I'm a Mopar doofus! I'm just way behind on learning this stuff. I wished I had payed more attention when my dad was alive and worked on his cars. But I didn't learn from him. He's long passed. So maybe you all can fill in for him. Okay?

Glenn
Even Radio Shack can sell you a decent multi meter for under $20. You don't need a $400 meter. Spend what you feel comfortable with but they are a great thing to own. Stick with 67Dart273's suggestions and you'll be cruising at night in no time. :glasses7:

Sometimes a volt meter wont tell you you have a bad connection.
A test light will work better.

UPDATE! Aug 31 2012

Still no headlights. I did buy a multimeter at Oreilly's. I checked the three pronged connector where the head lamp plugs in. With lights on I found no voltage. I then unscrewed the dimmer switch from floor and unplugged it from it's 3 pronger connector. With the lights on at the dash I found +12 volts at two of the three connections. When I turned the lights off at the dash then I found no voltage on any of the three connections.

So bad dimmer switch? I guess I'll head to Oreilly's in the morning and get a new one. Unless anyone else has any better ideas?

Glenn

I had a bad voltage regulator in my 69 Valiant years ago.The headlights both blew on me so I replaced them,and then they blew again.I thought WTF...I figured out the voltage regulator was bad,I replaced it and never had another issue.

Nope, Not the dimmer switch. As per above, 2 hot terminals at Dimmer switch = go out to the headlamps and Check for bad ground or no power.

is this car the dark blue 65 that was on craigslist for quite some time. started out way too expensive and they finally priced it reasonably? i looked at this car and its a gem. if its this same car then your a lucky man. you should boast a bit and post some pictures.

So how would I check for a bad ground?

Glenn
If you check the 3 wires at headlamp, 1 terminal should be ground, The other 2 are hot for High & Low beams. If you probe the Positive terminal of Battery with red lead, then probing the correct wire to bulb will show 12.8 volts or so. Or do it with test lamp clipped to positive terminal. Then clip black test lead to Bat. Neg. Terminal & check the other 2 wires for power with headlights on. You may end up needing a wiring diagram and start tracing wires.
here's 2 links that should help http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65DartA.jpg
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65DartB.jpg
The 2nd link has the headlight circuit. Just trace the wires backwards. It could be bad connections at the Bulk Head.

Will give it a shot in the morning then! Thanks for the help! I actually have a wiring diagram for this Dart. Glad I found it.

Glenn

Will give it a shot in the morning then! Thanks for the help! I actually have a wiring diagram for this Dart. Glad I found it.

Glenn
Good luck tomorrow. Shouldn't be too hard to track down the problem then it'll get easier in the future.

So how would I check for a bad ground?

Glenn

Take a look at the back of the headlight plug. One of the wires should go from the back of the plug and connect to the radiator support. That is the ground wire. Hook the black probe to the ground (either at the plug or where it connects to the radiator support) and the red probe to the positive battery terminal. If you see battery voltage, then you have a good ground. If you do not see battery voltage, then you have a bad ground.

I'm a newbie and just learning this stuff...so someone check my logic please. :toothy8:

is this car the dark blue 65 that was on craigslist for quite some time. started out way too expensive and they finally priced it reasonably? i looked at this car and its a gem. if its this same car then your a lucky man. you should boast a bit and post some pictures.

This is dark blue 65 Dart. I don't think it was on Craigslist for very long. When I came across it the first time it was listed for $2700.00. The owners thought they had a sale at $2700. Apparently the buyer backed out. Then a death in the family kept them busy. About one month later they relisted it but they reduced their asking price by a 1/3. I was searching everyday. I saw the ad, made an appointment to see the car and bought it for $1800.00. Heck of a buy.

Glenn:D

Have you checked the fusable link? that could cause this.

This is dark blue 65 Dart. I don't think it was on Craigslist for very long. When I came across it the first time it was listed for $2700.00. The owners thought they had a sale at $2700. Apparently the buyer backed out. Then a death in the family kept them busy. About one month later they relisted it but they reduced their asking price by a 1/3. I was searching everyday. I saw the ad, made an appointment to see the car and bought it for $1800.00. Heck of a buy.

Glenn:D
That's a nice looking '65. Only found a couple pictures but She sure looks solid. Please let us know what you find wrong with the H/lamps. Then post up some more Pic's :toothy8:

Would a '65 have a fusable link? The car looks fairly stock. Just wondering if a link was being used in 1965?

Glenn
My 66 had 'em and I think they're very similar. I still say start at the Lamps & work your way backwards but there are many ways to Skin a...... Well you know what I'm sayin' (Don't want PITA to get on my back)

-
Back