No luck Adjusting Rockers

-
I can tell you these guys are smarter than me and I think you have been given good advice. I give you my thoughts. Like Rob said should only have about two or three threads showing if more push rods too short. With the cam on base circle I spin push rod with my fingers and when I feel resistance I go half a turn and lock it down. This should be zero lash. Rotate engine by hand and watch rockers cycle and make sure they aren't hitting retainer on the valves. If rockers are hitting retainers that could be the noise. I really advise you find what is causing the noise and not drive until you do. Could be very costly. Bill

Thanks gonna check tonight and see where i'm at with the threads on the rockers and post back later this evening.
John
I can tell you these guys are smarter than me and I think you have been given good advice. I give you my thoughts. Like Rob said should only have about two or three threads showing if more push rods too short. With the cam on base circle I spin push rod with my fingers and when I feel resistance I go half a turn and lock it down. This should be zero lash. Rotate engine by hand and watch rockers cycle and make sure they aren't hitting retainer on the valves. If rockers are hitting retainers that could be the noise. I really advise you find what is causing the noise and not drive until you do. Could be very costly. Bill

so if the rockers are hitting the retainers what causes this? the wrong size push rods?

so if the rockers are hitting the retainers what causes this? the wrong size push rods?

no..just need to make a small grind on the rockers for clearance...you will see where the interference is on the under side of the rocker.

having more then 2 or 3 threads showing on the adjuster is not good for your rocker arm geometry..since it easier to bend the tops off the pushrods.....but has no bearing on his problem with getting the correct preload on the lifters..

Ahh i think we are finally getting somwhere!
When i had the rockers off the other day i did notice on the back side they were either hitting or all ready grinded.
How do i tell the difference? do i have to coat them with somthing and put them bad on to see if it wears away again?

no..just need to make a small grind on the rockers for clearance...you will see where the interference is on the under side of the rocker.

having more then 2 or 3 threads showing on the adjuster is not good for your rocker arm geometry..since it easier to bend the tops off the pushrods.....but has no bearing on his problem with getting the correct preload on the lifters..

if you bought them brand new...the rockers should have no marks on the under side ....and if you have marks there now...that is cause by the rocker hitting the retainer......

if you bought them used...then someone else could have ground them or had the interference problem also...

there are alot of off shore made roller rockers that will only fit the heads if they are using stock spring retainers....if you engine uses a larger retainer due to aftermarket springs...then you might have that problem..

If they have been hitting there should be small metal particles in very close proximity.

And the reason I mentioned the amount of threads showing on the adjuster has to do with increasing the angle which the adjuster engages the pushrod. If there are too many threads showing through, the angle can get so great that the adjuster can contact the side of the pushrod and make noise, which is your original complaint. Also if the angle is really great, that contact can result in the end of the pushrod or even the adjuster or possibly the rocker arm breaking. This is why the pushrod length is critical. Simply put, you need to inspect everything everywhere parts come close to see if something is making contact.

Got it, I will give it a good look and report back Tonight!!!
Right now i'm at my desk pushing paper. LOL
Come to think of it i spoke to the old owner Recently who built the motor and he said the springs were changed to make sure they dont interfere if i put the stock rockers back on now i see where you guys are getting at. been there done that type of deal.
I do thank you all!!

If they have been hitting there should be small metal particles in very close proximity.

And the reason I mentioned the amount of threads showing on the adjuster has to do with increasing the angle which the adjuster engages the pushrod. If there are too many threads showing through, the angle can get so great that the adjuster can contact the side of the pushrod and make noise, which is your original complaint. Also if the angle is really great, that contact can result in the end of the pushrod or even the adjuster or possibly the rocker arm breaking. This is why the pushrod length is critical. Simply put, you need to inspect everything everywhere parts come close to see if something is making contact.

I aint smarter than anybody, but I have screwed up a LOT of stuff in my day. lol

-
Back