No more trimparts carpet... sold to ACC

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Im about to order some rugs for my Duster. My trim parts carpet has always fit nice. Well... just called up there and they sold out to ACC in October. Hmmmm now who do I use? Who’s carpet fits the 4 speed hump pretty decently? I know the ECM or whatever Brand is out of my league for this project. Anyway... thanks for suggestions. I’m thinking Rock Auto ACC and try it.

Dang.

I need carpet for my 73 satellite.

I've seen three ACC 71-74 B body carpets and they all had a HUGE sag on the trans tunnel.

Well. Trim Parts sold them their molds and all. So ACC might be on the uprise in quality again. I have a set 20 years ago and it fit very nicely.

A little off course but.... Can I buy just a front section of carpet? I have new rear section.

I do.... Lol

I will have to find a buyer for the back portion. Dont want it sitting on my shelf for a decade like the one I have now.

As a vendor for both ACC Carpets and Trim Parts Carpet, both had pretty much 100% coverage of each other's product line in the collector car market and I would say that ACC would probably have more coverage for the newer cars. I personally see it as a means of ACC being able to control more of the market and Trim Parts was seeing a slowing in carpet sales, so sale what you can to get whatever the market will bear is more like it.

He did say that they also bought the moulds. He didn’t elaborate any further. I believe all retail is down right now. I mean how many more cars are there to be restored. I know a lot of cars are getting their second restoration. Or third now. Sadly Muscle cars will be the next category of car to be less interested in. Model A and T’s are toast... 33 Vickys are plummeting, 57 Chevy type cars are going soft quick. It’s a generational thing. The parts manf biz is dangerous. You spend the money to have tooling made and the chinaman or competitors stab you in the back. Why even bother making new parts. I understand why they sold out.

Being involved in the manufacturing of parts for these old cars, the hobby is actually pretty strong at this time. What your seeing is that the larger vendors / manufactures are buying up less financially strong businesses. As in any business, less competition may not be good for the consumer, but generally works in favor of the business controlling the market share. If you could take your market share from say from 65% to 95%, then the financials that these companies work under would deem it worth the investment.

A follow up. Bought my carpet last month from Legendary. Got it out of the box ASAP and let it sit flat in my house. Got the hump in and it fit extremely well from AMD. The back of the carpet fit terrible around the back of the hump. And the flat part of the hump to the right of the shifter heaps up and makes a hollow cavern. The rest of the carpet especially around the seat hole humps fit genius. So I know the carpet is where it should be. But man... it fits bad around the hump. I’m gonna live with it, but I hate carpet. After 4 hours with a heat gun, I worked a ton of the bad stuff out but threw in the towel around the back of the hump. Yikes.

For what its worth, I have ACC carpet in my 69 Barracuda FB and it fits and looks real good.

If you take a look at the back of the carpet, it has a plastic like look to it. The flat carpet is heated up and pressed into the mold. When it cools a bit, the plastic looking back hardens and that is what forms the shapes. Being careful, you can easily massage ill fitting areas yourself with a heat gun and some patience. With the heat gun on low, warm up the back of the carpet until it is soft and pliable. Then, using some slightly damp towels, press on the area to form it better. It will work, just be patient.

On sharp curves, such as the back of the hump, it stretches the carpet. I worked a hell of a lot out. But you can’t work with carpet that has been pulled and stretched. It’s just hit or miss with this Brand carpet. Plain and simple.

Check out StockInteriors.com. They always treated me right with great customer service, free samples ahead of purchase, an attractive price and lightspeed shipping.

Works best in July after setting on your cars roof all afternoon, get a beer and work it! ACC furnishes carpet to Legendary. They make seatcover!

The shop was 80 degrees and I had a heat gun. We worked a lot out but that hump is pretty well formed and stretched.

If anything I needed to shrink the carpet. I’m just gonna live with it.

If you take a look at the back of the carpet, it has a plastic like look to it. The flat carpet is heated up and pressed into the mold. When it cools a bit, the plastic looking back hardens and that is what forms the shapes. Being careful, you can easily massage ill fitting areas yourself with a heat gun and some patience. With the heat gun on low, warm up the back of the carpet until it is soft and pliable. Then, using some slightly damp towels, press on the area to form it better. It will work, just be patient.
Whoever disagreed with me on this statement certainly has the right to, but I must disagree with their disagreement. I have actually done this several times. It DOES work. And I know for a fact that heat and big press molds is how they make the press molded carpets (saw it on a car related TV show years ago). So disagree all you want, but it works. I have also used a heat gun on low to pop out dents in plastic bumpers with great success.

The reason that all of the modern cars and now available on the carpet for our old carpet is the mass backing. It is more of a stiffer backing that is molded under heat and pressure to the back side of the carpet. It retains the shape better and offers more sound and temperature variance to the outside conditions.

We do a good bit with ACC carpet and the VP of Operations was telling me about the best way to get the molded vinyl floor covering to fit the contours of the floor board. It involved heating the flooring covering and then pushing it into position with ice cold towels so as to "condition" the covering to the floor board. First and foremost, remove the carpet from the box as soon as it arrives and order carpet only when you need it. Do not let it seat trapped inside its box in the attic of your garage for two years and expect to lay it out with no wrinkles in the material.

-
Back